PDA

View Full Version : Hello All... I think I may have GAD...

miles200
18-08-12, 21:57
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and hopefully looking for some advice.

I think I may have GAD or some other Anxiety problem. For the last year or so I have had on and off anxiety type symptoms but a week ago I had to go home from work and have been off sick ever since with these symptoms. I called in sick again for tomorrow as I just can't handle going in.

I usually wake up with that "knot in the stomach" worry feeling and this is making me feel really nauseas. I keep having hot flushes, sweaty hands, loss of concentration and feel like I want to faint.

I am feeling guilty about being sick from work which I think is making things worse. I am going to make a doctors appointment on Monday and see what my GP thinks and hopefully take it from there.

Does this sound like it could be an Anxiety disorder of some kind?

Thanks!!

Miles

Jonz
18-08-12, 22:02
Hi Miles

I'm pretty new here too. Obviously I'm not a doctor, but what you describe certainly matches anxiety symptoms. I have suffered from anxiety for a number of years - it went away, but has come back with a vengeance these past few weeks. I too wake up with that horrible knot in the stomach feeling - and it knocks me sick too. First step is to see your gp - explain everything and hopefully he will be able to offer you something to help. Don't just suffer and hope it will go away.

Feel free to pm me

Jon

miles200
18-08-12, 22:08
Hey Jon,

Thanks for the reply. I couldn't understand for months what it was thought it may have been something physical as I have a happy life, great partner, no huge or traumatic/stressful events in my life however I then read about GAD and it's ability to make you anxious for no real reason!

Cheers for the advice

Miles

edwardsm88
18-08-12, 22:17
Hay, miles200. Anxiety can build up over a long period of time with out your noticing, when there comes a point where you become aware of the fact that your anxiety is at an unusually high level. This can cause a 'blip' where you begin to worry even more and it becomes worse; all these symptoms are typical of anxiety. First of all anxiety naturally builds and falls ( good days and bad days ) try not to make the mistake of looking for the causes them, as this is worry and adding to the anxiety and building bad habits. What you must do to start breaking these habits is saying to yourself "ok this is a bad day, but I accept it" stand up do something else distract your self. If you second guess your self, which if you are like me you will, "but what if this is....." you just caught your self again. Acknowledge you caught your self then distract and repeat:)

I don't want to say don't go to the doctor, but if this is anxiety you are just giving it more attention by going; this is exactly what you want to avoid.

I hope that helped.

miles200
18-08-12, 23:08
Hey thanks for the reply :)

I do find if I distract my self I don't notice it anymore it's only when I have time to think to myself I feel crap again.

Thanks for the advice.

Miles

edwardsm88
19-08-12, 18:53
Just keep at it and you will have negative thoughts less and less till it's gone completely. Just persevere:)

miles200
20-08-12, 11:17
So,

Seen the Dr in the end, been referred for Counselling/therapy which will help alot I feel but for the time being I am on 10mg Citalopram and signed off for a week to help me through the side effects.

Lets see what happens!

Miles x