PDA

View Full Version : Hello, another newbie here!

Letty
18-08-12, 22:46
Hello , I've just joined nmp to get some help & advice with agoraphobia, a problem I've had for many years - unfortunately. Recently I've been referred to a CBT therapist (took 8 months by the way!) We've got to the 'behavioural' part & I'm finding it really hard going. The therapist wants me to bring on a panic attack by hyperventilating. I have to deliberately over breathe until I go dizzy etc etc - you know the rest. I've only done this for 30 seconds so far but he wants me to continue for over a minute or more - to prove that it isn't harmful & that he can 'talk me down' at this point. This goes against everthing I've tried to do over the past 20 years - & I go on such a 'downer' afterwards. Has anybody else gone through this therapy & if so does it help?? :wacko: love Letty

nomorepanic
18-08-12, 22:56
Hi Letty

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

kittikat
18-08-12, 23:25
Hi Letty & :welcome:

I am having CBT for panic/agoraphobia and my therapist has used this same method. I was initially shocked to think she would even want to do this to me, but actually it really helped and I felt more comfortable having her there talking me through it. Scarey but worth a try, it did help me. I am finding pushing the boundaries the worst bit atm, just can't seem to get past my small comfort zone. Anyway, just wanted you to know you are not alone. I wish you all the best.

Kitti :)

Serenitie
19-08-12, 12:17
:welcome: Wishing you well with your CBT. It can be very effective in managing anxiety.

Letty
19-08-12, 15:19
Hello Kitti, thanks for your reply, I was interested to hear that you've also had the same treatment & that you found it to help. At this point I'm finding that difficult to imagine as every fibre in my body is against going down that route again!! :lac: Like yourself I have my safe boundaries & have managed to live within these for so long I feel I almost don't need to go any further! I've another appointment tomorrow & he will be asking how I got on with my 'homework' - which was to induce a panic attaack every day for a week (deep joy!) Anyway thanks for your note & I do hope you continue to progress, please let me know how you get along with your treatment. love from Letty:)

---------- Post added at 15:19 ---------- Previous post was at 15:16 ----------

Hello Serenitie, thank you for your welcome - yes I'm hoping CBT will help, love Letty:)