PDA

View Full Version : Just taken first sertraline tablet. Scared

frenchbean
19-08-12, 10:29
Hi all,

After many months of dithering I have finally this morning taken my first sertraline tablet. I have split a 50mg tablet and taken 25mg.

So far I feel tired and have a dry mouth, but that could just be my normal anxiety plus extra because I'm anticipating feeling worse...

Any words of encouragement welcome!

Thanks xx

Serenitie
19-08-12, 17:53
Hi lovely. Well done for being so brave and taking the first step. A dry mouth is a very common side effect. Keep well hydrated. This also stops you from feeling as anxious or dizzy too. Do nice things for yourself and take your focus away from medication and anxiety.

I look forward to hearing how you progress.

Well done! :hugs: xxx

frenchbean
22-08-12, 10:42
Have been taking 25mg for 3 days now and having felt ok for the first couple of days, I feel very anxious now and don't want to take another dose. :-( If anyone could tell me roughly how long the increase in anxiety lasts for that would be great. x

tomcat
22-08-12, 11:23
hi tomcat here, doctor prescribe me sertraline 50mg yesterday and like you babe am dithering bout it to , i dont wont the side effect of heightend anxeity.

erin31
22-08-12, 11:23
Hi Frenchbean.
When I first started on 50mg of Sertraline my anxiety increased for about 2 weeks. It was quite high at first but gradually got better over the next fourteen days or so, although I did have some bad days when it would shoot up again.
I raised to 100mg a couple of weeks ago and my anxiety has again increased but is nowhere as bad as it was when I first started taking Sertraline. I know it is hard when you first start taking antidepressants but it does get better. Keep telling yourself that the anxiety is a side effect that will get better x

TJSMITH
22-08-12, 12:55
Like Erin said anxiety can increase first 2 weeks of taking it and if dose is changed.

Erin how you getting on??? im week 9 now and 4 of that at 100mg im about 80% most days x

erin31
22-08-12, 14:54
Hi Tracy.
I'm having a good day today and good days definitely out number the bad now.
I think knowing I can and will have good days is what keeps me going during the bad times.
Still worry about having another relapse or what will happen if the Sertraline stops working but I guess that is normal after being so ill.
80% is a lot better than you were so things are definitely looking up. Sertraline certainly seems to take longer than some other antidepressants to work but they do kick in eventually. Take care x

TJSMITH
22-08-12, 16:30
Erin how long roughly before you knew had kicked in? Everyday I have low lying anxiety only thoughts though and sometimes it overwhelmes me still I also struggle to concentrate to read or watch tv. I get so confused as to what the meds Are supposed to achieve. Is a good day a normal day ie no anxious thoughts at all As that would be heaven for me x

erin31
22-08-12, 18:14
Hi Tracy. The meds are not a happy pill in that they don't make you feel happy. In my experience they stop the really horrible dark thoughts and lessen the anxiety but it does not take away the anxiety completely. What they do is allow me to function on a normal level and to help myself.
I was on effexor for a while and these did take away the anxiety completely but they left me numb as a person. I may not of been sad but I wasn't happy either. Didn't laugh, cry or anything. Now I feel happy and can have a real good laugh, I actually laugh a lot now and I also cry but at the right time. In other words I am 'me'.

I knew Sertraline was working on my depression within a couple of days but my anxiety was much raised to begin with. Even on good days I know it is not far away but I can ignore it. It is a normal reaction to certain events so it is normal to feel some anxiety at times.
I think I noticed my anxiety was getting slightly better at the end of the first week and by the end of week two I was begining to have good days but the odd bad day does still creep in.
Everyone is different though and from what I have read I am in the minority in that it started to work so quickly. 6 to 12 weeks seems to be the norm.
xxxx

TJSMITH
22-08-12, 18:25
Thanks Erin
Will keep going for now but seem to be struggling a lot and scared. It's strange as felt at one point getting there as was lurking but didn't bother me and now it is again

erin31
22-08-12, 19:10
Have emailed you Tracy x