PDA

View Full Version : Pregabalin long-term tolerance

On Fire
20-08-12, 03:18
I am taking 150mg/day Pregabalin, prescribed by my psychiatrist for severe anxiety. Pregabalin has been a miracle for me, and has saved my marriage. I am just slightly worried about - do you develop a tolerance to Pregabalin through long term use? There are conflicting user reports on the web through a google search. I know officially (well, according to Wikipedia) Pregabalin is not addictive and not something that you gain tolerance to, but what are your experiences?

I have only been taking Pregabalin for a few weeks and so far, I have gained tolerance to most of the side effects, but it is still working really well for my anxiety. I just hope that I do not gain tolerance to the anti-anxiety effect.

Thanks for any replies.

BobbyDog
20-08-12, 10:43
I take Pregabalin and have done so for about 2 months. It has helped reduce the amount of panic attacks that I have and their severity.

If it works, that is all that matters, don't worry about anything else!!!!!!!

hanshan
25-08-12, 17:23
Hi On Fire,

I have been taking pregabalin for about two years. In the first few weeks I developed some some tolerance to its effects, but that soon evened out, and I have been on a steady dose since then. Its anti-anxiety effects have stayed the same over two years, while the side effects like lack of coordination have decreased.

Don't worry if your initial dose increases over the first few weeks - you should soon find the level that is right for you.

JT69
26-08-12, 09:52
Hello on fire,

I too have been taking it for just over 2 years now....couldnt believe it is that long when I actually looked back at an old thread I posted.

It has turned my life around and I do not suffer the awful anxiety that I used to all those years before!!

I only take a low dose 50mg at night and 50mg in the morning but still after all this time it works as well as it did at the beginning!!

I'm glad its helping you...and long may it continue...dont think about it not working just draw from the positives.

Good luck!!

Jo.x

On Fire
28-08-12, 06:38
Thank you for the replies. This is reassuring.

On Fire
31-08-12, 06:42
I have been told by my psychiatrist that Pregabalin can be "psychologically addictive", particularly at higher dosages, and that is why they sometimes take people off it.

hanshan
31-08-12, 11:03
Can you ask your psychiatrist for published evidence of these claims of addiction at higher doses? Every journal study that I have seen indicates that there is no evidence of addiction at any dose.

Pregabalin is a schedule 5 drug in the US, which makes it about as addictive as a cup of coffee every day. Even that was probably decided back when they thought that pregabalin acted in a similar way to benzodiazepines and GABA. Since then, it's been demonstrated to have a completely different action.

On Fire
01-09-12, 09:49
Can you ask your psychiatrist for published evidence of these claims of addiction at higher doses? Every journal study that I have seen indicates that there is no evidence of addiction at any dose.

Pregabalin is a schedule 5 drug in the US, which makes it about as addictive as a cup of coffee every day. Even that was probably decided back when they thought that pregabalin acted in a similar way to benzodiazepines and GABA. Since then, it's been demonstrated to have a completely different action.

Thanks hanshan. I will ask him on Thursday, when I see him next.

xtremx
01-09-12, 16:58

I agree with this my psychiatrist and his head doctor told me non addictive, But then again they do say anything can be addictive.

I have been on Pregabalin for over 6 months now (it has been a battle getting a script at times but all sorted now) and they work a treat for me.

Audjc
11-11-15, 21:49
Been on Lyrica for a little over a week. Was very light-headded and unsteady at first with only 50mg. Heard so many things bad and am so glad that there are some success stories. This is the end of the line for me as far as pain control. I have a rare, genetic liver disease and spine issues since 1982. I have been in pain most of my life but still lived an active life, which lately has been slowed down considerably as thing have deteriorated to a point where there is nothing they can do. I also am limited to what I can use for pain because of the liver situation, so I was glad to hear it is quickly metabolized and excreted by the kidneys. I am taking 50mg-3xday, but already think it is not enough. I'm thinking that if it is metabolized in a little over 6hrs, I should be taking it every 6 hrs. It seems to be like a light switch, all of a sudden the pain breaks thru just before next dose. I will speak to my pain mgnt doc. But it has been amazing in making my pain manageable. My entire spine is in very bad shape. Thank GOD I can still walk. My only other concern is that I am in stage 3 chronic kidney disease (no dialysis) and do not want to make that situation worse. If there is anyone with chronic kidney disease taking Lyrica, I'd love to hear from you. Thanks everyone- Audjc::flowers:

hanshan
12-11-15, 01:58
Hi Audc,

I'm so sorry to hear about your liver and kidney disease and associated pain. I do hope pregabalin continues to be helpful with pain management.

Do not pay too much heed to negative stories on the internet - I imagine just about every medication by now has had people who have had a negative experience, and taken to the internet to warn others. On the other hand, those who benefit don't feel such a strong need to publish their experience.

As you say, pregabalin is quickly metabolized and excreted. It does not completely disappear in six hours, though. That is the half-life, so approximately half remains in the body after that time. Nevertheless, it may be slipping below the level necessary for pain management. Talk it over with your doctor. It may be possible to increase the dose, or spread it over more frequent doses (doctors usually avoid this because patients often don't comply or forget doses). Good luck continuing with pregabalin.

MyNameIsTerry
12-11-15, 05:04
I am also very sorry to hear your situation Audjc, it must be very hard to cope with.

As hanshan says, the 6.3 mean elimination time is for the half life. At 1 half life the drug is 50% but at 2 half lives it will be 25%. I would have thought you would have been taking your dose quite close to the first half life anyway?

Hanshan knows a lot about this med and perhaps it is a matter of needed a higher dose as opposed to the concern over it eliminated too quickly? Raising the dose will still mean the same % of elimination per half life BUT what might be important in your case could be that it will reduce from a higher 100% level thus having higher levels inbetween the half lives? Hanshan will know more on that score.

ricardo
12-11-15, 07:52
I have mentioned before that I took lyrica as it is known in Spain for about 8 months.It did nothing for me anxiety waise and I was taking 2 mg of Xanax as well, but it made really hungry depite then being a smoker.

Now I take it purely for nerve pain in a rather tender place having had full examinations to see if it was anything else.
I take 100mg every night and it dulls the pain , sometimes it goes away completely and sometimes it doesn't help at all.

steveng1989
04-05-17, 21:37
hey guys being on Pregabalin for 1 month now 450 mg split over 3 doses i suffer from severe ocd and gad to go along with it so far i haven't seen much affect in the reduction of my anxiety but iam hesitant to ask my psychiatrist to up the dose to 600 mg split over 3 times a day minds like a puzzle at the moment and i cant find a way to solve it also on 45 mg mitrazipine but dont think that will take hold until my anxiety is reduced any advise would be great sry for the grammar

braindead
07-05-17, 17:48
hey guys being on Pregabalin for 1 month now 450 mg split over 3 doses i suffer from severe ocd and gad to go along with it so far i haven't seen much affect in the reduction of my anxiety but iam hesitant to ask my psychiatrist to up the dose to 600 mg split over 3 times a day minds like a puzzle at the moment and i cant find a way to solve it also on 45 mg mitrazipine but dont think that will take hold until my anxiety is reduced any advise would be great sry for the grammar
45MG of mirtazapine is the top dose/ 5mg of olanzapine will calm your nerves better till the pregabalin starts to work , i assume the 45mirt is for the ocd but it is better on depression. i cured on 20mg Prozac OCD and depression it , was my first med 35 years ago took 12 week to start its magic , a long start up but i stuck it out:shades:

---------- Post added at 17:48 ---------- Previous post was at 17:42 ----------

I agree with this my psychiatrist and his head doctor told me non addictive, But then again they do say anything can be addictive.

I have been on Pregabalin for over 6 months now (it has been a battle getting a script at times but all sorted now) and they work a treat for me.

they are addictive, try coming off them after 6 months anything that works is addictive or tolerance , i am tolerant to 6mg of lorazepam a day
but if i tried to come off i would seizure in a day :scared11:

steveng1989
08-05-17, 18:15
thx guys for youre info being put on 12 mg diazepam split over 3 times daily to allow the pregabalin to take hold gona stick it out @ 150mg pregabalin 3 times a day + my mitrazipine and hope thinmgs settle them selfs out a bit diazepam only for 1 month @ that strength thne bring it down a bit @ time and stay with the pregabalin

---------- Post added at 18:01 ---------- Previous post was at 16:35 ----------

in response to brain dead i was on 60mg prozac for 10 years, then gradually my body rejected it, so mitrazipine was my phycs next step as it is trysiclic and not an ssri. i have a bad habit of researching all the meds i'am on and what affects good or bad they might have, again thx for ure response and any other info on how ure treatment is going is helpful to further mine many thx again.Also iam on 4mg clonezepam for miochrionic leg jerks 1 mg 4 times daily but thats just to stop ma legs from taking a mind of there own on that long they don't have a calming affect anymore even after a month or 2 they didn't hope fully the diaz will help until pregabalin takes hold and mitrazipine settles in.

---------- Post added at 18:15 ---------- Previous post was at 18:01 ----------

feel some times i'am just on a concoction of drugs and my mind isn't ever going to settle into a normal sate and live a normal live like allot of others