PDA

View Full Version : Videogames

Kroko
30-05-04, 16:44
Hey,

Videogames sometimes make me nauseous. I've experienced derealization since 2000 (an unreal feeling, sort of like you're detached from your body) and playing a videogame seems to worsen this feeling. Videogames also gave me the occasional nausea before the derealization started. I've had panic attacks since 2001. TV programs or DVDs don't seem to do this at all, only videogames. I fear epilepsy, I knew someone with it and I feel it's one of the worst things that could happen to me. I've never had an epileptic seizure, but I often feel like one is building up inside me. I'm also very sensitive to changes in framerate (the speed at which video is moving - 30 frames per second is usually enough for most individuals to consider the movement smooth), screen flicker and such.

I'm not entirely sure why I'm posting this here, I suppose I just need to tell about my fear and maybe read some similar experiences or convincing that my fear is uncalled for. Does anyone know how epilepsy is detected, and can it be discovered before someone with it has even had a seizure? I'm wondering because I believe medical proof against my fear would be a big relief.

Caitlyn89
31-05-04, 06:54
Well first off if you want to be reassured about epilepsy i would definetly reccomend talking to your doctor. His answers would be more accurate then anyone else's. Also you said your friend has epilepsy would it hurt to talk to her about it? You know ask her the syptoms and stuff. I would definetly reccomend you get this checked out. On your subject of video games isnt there some kind of warning label like it can cause nausea and stuff. Im not sure but i could of sworn reading it. Until you get in touch with your doctor i would just avoid video games. I hope you get better :)

Kroko
31-05-04, 09:31
Caitlyn, let me tell you something. If there's one thing I've done in the past few years, it's being in touch with my doctor, and many other doctors to boot! I've never brought up epilepsy, though. I did have some sort of brainscan done a couple of years ago, not sure whether it was a CAT scan or what, but I'm told it was accurate. I'm unsure as to whether they might detect epilepsy with this sort of scan, though, so maybe I should talk to my doctor about it.

Regarding this friend I mentioned (who is in fact female like you thought, even though I didn't say that), like I said I used to know her, I haven't been in touch with her for years now, and she wasn't as much a friend as she was someone I merely knew.

Thank you for the kind reply, and I wish all the best to you too.

april tones
31-05-04, 09:44
hi kroko, feeling your not in your body is common symptom of panic attacks and anxiety. When mine first started few years ago, mine were that bad. I kept saying im dying, fading away as it felt like i was slipping out of my self. I thought if i told people they could tell ambulance when it came. Ambulance never came as i didnt need it, i felt like i did though. I had to sleep with my mom in bed ata age 20 as i thought i was going to die. Its nothing like that now, i got help and was recovered. I had mild ones during my pregnancy recently and after birth but not as bad. Epelepsy is in my family. My dad had scan and showed no epelpsy and he has blackouts but also anxiety and depression. So i think it might pick it up on scan. I sometimes imagine im gonna have fit but never to, think its just feeling really tense and imagining what it be like, take care, loive april x

apriltones

nomorepanic
31-05-04, 12:21
Kroko

I used to feel terrible when playing video games. I couldn't play DOOM for more than 10 minutes without it making me feel dizzy.

Do you remember that big thing about it a few years ago when they said it was making kids ill?

As for epilepsy - I am not sure you can detect it, but don't let it worry you too much ok? The feelings are just panic/anxiety even though they feel so much more.

Welcome to the site by the way.

Nicola

kate
31-05-04, 12:28
Hi Kroko,

Welcome to the site.

I suffer with constant depersonalisation and have done for a few years now.

I think that it is the concentration involved with video games that makes the feelings worse.

I always feel worse when concentrating on talking one to one with anyone.

After a few minutes, the "not real" feelings intensify and I have to cut short the conversation.

I feel sure that the feelings you are suffering are due to anxiety and that, if you were in fact epileptic, then you would have had an attack already.

The more we dwell on our strange feelings, the more intense they become.

Hope to hear from you again soon

Kate x

sarah
31-05-04, 17:22
Hiya Kroko

I love playing video games.They dont give me the feeling of depersonalisation but they do make me panicky. I have realised that this is just what would be for 'normal people' excitement and frustration so I try not to let it bother me and I give myself a break every now and then to calm myself back down.

take care
Love Sarah
xx

we arent mad, just the next stage of evolution :)

ana
31-05-04, 19:55
Hello! Untill I have read this I thought I was the only one who has this! Do you feel like youur brain is tired and you are going to pass out? Or are you sometimes sensitive to lights? I mean, sometimes you want some dark and sometimes the light?!?
Is this also common?
Kisses
Ana

Caitlyn89
31-05-04, 23:09
Hey Kroko...well like i said the most accurate information you can get is from speaking with your doctor if your are much concerned with epliepsy. Im also sure there are sights on here that talk about it you could always go on www.webmd.com and type in epilepsy they might have some helpful information there.

stimpy
01-06-04, 01:06
I can't play fast moving video games as they make me feel ill also.
I think it is something to do with the picture on the screen and the way that our brain sees it.

Try moving further back from the screen and taking several long breaks while playing, see if that helps.

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx
With hard work and determination and all the things you know.
The world is there for you to take. There's nowhere you can't go.

[:p]Scatty Eccentric & 'Poet Laureate to panic and anxiety'

seh1980
07-06-04, 19:30
Hi Kroko,

I can understand completely what you are feeling. I have had both an epileptic seizure and a panic attack. I had my epileptic seizure almost 3 years ago now. At the time, I had no idea what was happening. I felt my head closing down and then suddenly I was unconscious and shaking. When I had my first panic attack, it was a very similar feeling and I thought I was having another seizure. I had lots of tests done (an MRI and an ECG) and was told that I wasn't epileptic.
You said that sometimes you feel like an epileptic seizure is about to happen. From my experience, that isn't the way epileptic seizures work. An epileptic seizure either happens or it doesn't - it doesn't start and then stop. There is no way you can control it. When you have a panic attack, you can feel it building up inside you and there are ways of stopping it like with breathing exercises and relaxation techniques.
My panic attacks started because of my fear of having an epileptic seizure. I am slowly realising that just because I had one 3 years ago, that doesn't mean that I will have another one. Lots of people have one at some point in their lives for no reason. However, if you have never had one, chances are that you won't...and like I said before, that feeling that you get when playing videogames is more likely to be you panicking, not you feeling an epileptic seizure coming on. If it were a seizure coming on, you would have had one.
I hope what I have said has reassured you a little.
Take care.

Sarah (seh1980)

Kroko
08-06-04, 11:38
Yes, Sarah, that was a reassuring message, thanks for that. :)

Meg
08-06-04, 13:43
There are many people who have unfortunately been diagnosed epileptic when it transpires that it was a one off fit and not the condition of epilepsy at all.

EEG's are good at showing permenent damage or unhealthy traces but that itself is not enough for a diagnosis.

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone