PDA

View Full Version : Anyone take Sertraline for anxiety??

SheilaH921
20-08-12, 21:44
I was at the doctors today and he has given me sertraline 50mg. I read the instructions and it said you should be given 25mg and then up the dose tp 50. I know it sounds silly but im worried about taking them now. The side effects look scary aswell.

Is anyone else taking this for anxiety, do u think it helps?

sam_21
20-08-12, 21:52
i take it, im on 150mg, and yes the side affects are unpleast but only for a week or so, unless you get put on a higher doseage, but i find its not helping me at the minute as im also prescribed benzodiazpines, diazpam tamazpam, and just come off librium, ask your doctor about them, if you can cope with the sertraline then do so, im dependent on the diazipam at the minute as i can get no help or counciling from the nhs, so its going to be a rocky road to recovery when if i eventually do recover.

SheilaH921
20-08-12, 22:00
Ive been put on diazipam atm but only for a week r so. Y cant u get therapy? I went today to the doc and hes refered me through the nhs.

Should 50mg not have such bad side effects? I always scare myself reading the leaflet x

sam_21
20-08-12, 22:37
no the leaflets all what could happen, it has different side affects to everyone, you might not even get any at 50mg, the only the only side effects i gotwas hightened anxiety for a few days and headaches but it soon wears off, dont worry about it taking it, if it doesnt help you or you cant cope with the side effects if you get any ask your doctor to change medication, and because the nhs have to make cutbacks and and see less patients etc due to the government and the counties rescession. but give the sertraline ago, i take it in the morning because it can sometimes make you restless so taking it before bed if you struggle sleeping anyway probably not the best idea

SheilaH921
21-08-12, 08:18
I took it last night before i read this. I probably cant take another one this morning now theyl b too close together:(

nervousmummytobe
21-08-12, 09:39
Hi Sheila!
i used to take them before I was pregnant and they really helped me!! I would definately give them a go and dont worry about side effects etc! your doctor has given u them so trust that and just follow the dosage guidelines and you will be fine!!! i really wish i could take them again xxxx

SheilaH921
21-08-12, 12:51
thanks, i did take them before and only took them for a week then stopped cuz i felt so nausous and didnt believe i really needed them.

I know i need them this time so il just ignore the constant nausea and itl hopefully itl pass.

Did you feel nausous at the start?

gemjones85
23-08-12, 14:46
I think everyone reacts different - i was on citalopram and got changed to setraline 50mg and honestly felt awful on the them, i couldnt handle the side affects. I had a full blown panic attack on the bus and felt like i was hallusinating on them.
But a friend loves them. You wont know untill u try - good luck XXXX

Mo B
23-08-12, 16:21
Ive found Sert to be VG for anxiety. Been on 50mg now nearly 6 months and feel good. Side effects at first were increased anxiety for a few days. Nausea for a couple of weeks, fuzzy head and loose stools JOY! but they were gone by about 12 weeks. They were certainly bearable and well worth the outcome. I took Diazepam to help for the first month when needed. Now am back at work and feel like ive got my life back. No depression now either. Hope this carries on! I take mine in the morning with food and this helped with the nausea.

Good Luck. Sert takes a bit longer than some to work but if youre patient youll get there.

Love Mo:)x