PDA

View Full Version : New member just started citalopram

Dizzzie
21-08-12, 13:19
Hi there have just joined this website yesterday was first time starting on citalopram after a real struggle with daily panic attacks just felt it was taking over me and my kids life the straw that broke the camels back was coming bk from holiday Saturday got stuck in m5 traffic and had a full blown panick attack fortunately my mom was driving but kids got scared as I Desperatly wanted to get out of the car my mom had no empathy which left me feeling really alone so yesterday started taking citalopram I have to say the initial side effects r horrid I feel woozy sick and one min I feel great then I feel shaky but these r said to pass feels a relief to b here with others in similar boat anyone else on citalopram ?????? Had these side effects X

jonngait
21-08-12, 18:45
hello!! I'm sorry you went through such an inconvenient situation, it's always easier to have people with you that can comfort you and help you with your anxiety, instead of escalating it even further! when you say though that you started citalopram... you did consult a doctor first, right? and what exactly is Citalopram, if you don't mind me asking! I'm completely ignorant with medicines! all I know is that it's always wiser to have a talk with your physician first :)

Dizzzie
25-08-12, 10:38
hey there yes i have been pescribed it by my doctor its used for anxiety and panic attacks and depression, i drove my car for the forst time yesterday without too much stress hope your feeling good today x:hugs:

Mackayfire
28-08-12, 07:49
Hi there! I am also on citralopram. I've been on 20mg for about 6 months. The first week or so I had mild side effects. I would get heartburn every time I got remotely nervous! Or rather, it randomly gave me heartburn (which I'd never had before) and I typically panicked about it and it went from there!

After about 3 weeks I started feeling the good effects of the drug and it pretty much changed my life. I was petrified of driving alone and now I can drive to work and haven't had a proper panic attack since. I will still sometimes get nervous and get a tingly face or something but my mind stays calm so it never escalates.

I guess the way to describe citralopram for me is that it puts a cap on the level of my anxiety. It will never go past a manageable point now and my mind doesn't jump to a hundred terrible conclusions at once anymore. That was a long answer but I know how nerve wracking it can be trying a new drug so that's my 2 cents :)

karenp
29-08-12, 15:39
I have been on Citalopram 3 times in the past but found the start up on it really hard (as it makes my panic worse before it gets better) so when I became ill again when my marriage ended back in March time, I opted for Mirtazapine but so wish I'd opted for the Citalopram again as it got me 100% well again all 3 previous times I have suffered with panic attacks and anxiety over the past 10 years. The mirtazapine seems to have made my anxiety worse and after 5 months on it, I have seen no imporovement where as I KNOW I would have been better by now if I hadn't been a chicken and gone back on Cit. Good luck darl, what you are feeling right now is just the very normal transition period getting the drug into your sytem, rellay hope it works as well for you a sit always did me.