PDA

View Full Version : diagnosis

dela
25-07-06, 14:01
i am wondering about diagnosis. i have dep and anxiety and am being treated (unsuccessfully) so far with medications.
I wonder is there something else at work here. there are aspects of ADD/ADHD that i must say i relate to.
But how do you go about getting a diagnosis here in the UK. I feel that my gp would dismiss me out of of hand. Any thoughts?

a-little-room-to-breathe
25-07-06, 15:01
Hey,
I think it's unlikely that your GP will entirely reject what you are saying, but I know that it can be a bit awkward. Are you seeing a counsellor or anybody for your depression and anxiety, because it may be easier to talk to them first, to see if they think it's likely. I'm not sure if counsellors and non-doctors can diagnose, but if they cant they should definitely be able to tell you whether it warrants seeing your GP, and maybe they could go with you to explain.
If you aren't seeing anybody, perhaps do some research on the internet and take it to a doctor's appointment, so that it's easier for you to remember and so that you don't let the doctor dismiss you, because often that happens.

Hope that helped.

Katie xx

"If I can wipe from any human cheek, a tear,
Convince one man that hope and heaven are near,
Create more joy, more hope, less pain,
And though not one shall know my name nor drop a flower on my grave,
I shall not have lived in vain while here."