PDA

View Full Version : new member's HA feels out of control

sydno
21-08-12, 20:33
Hello, I am a new member and have yet to post anything other than an introduction but in the last few days this health anxiety thing really seems to have taken over. it consumes my daily thoughts and makes restful sleep impossible. i am 46 and think I am experiencing perimenopause-losts of symptoms and the anxiety is one that has been around for abut 4 or 5 years now. In the last few weeks, coincidentally, starting right when my HA really ramped up, I started having stomach issues; lots of rumbling and gurgling, especially after I eat, mild cramping, low back pain and loose stools. My dr put me on zoloft, it seemed to have made the symptoms worse so switched to lexapro-6 days now-the cramping is mild but constant and some pain below my ribs sometimes it's more on the left sometimes on the right. i had my physical 5 months ago-all normal. last week dr took blood to check kidney,liver and pancreas function and an h pylori breath test-all normal and no h pylori. i am petrified i have something much much worse-ovarian or colon cancer and just can't seem to shake the awful feelings. my mom was diagnosed with colon cancer last year at 69, had surgery and recovered just fine. i am a very conscientious eater and teach and practice yoga now for 8 years. i do not understand this affliction at all. am seeing a therapist for it but so far not alot of positive results. anyone else have a similar story?? thanks for your time.

eileenb73
21-08-12, 21:56
Hi
I just wanted to say youre not alone, Ive had HA for 20 years and sometimes it does feel like it takes over everything, every minute of every day its all I think about, mines concerns heart problems though as my mum died suddenly at 38 (the age i am now) and my dad at 57.
The best things that have helped me is meds from my gp when needed, books, and counselling. Dont get me wrong iHA still rears its head every so often and it can feel like ill never get control of it but I try and say to myself Ive been here before, Ill get through it again.
Theres nothing wrong with asking your doctor for a second opinion anytime you want if you feel they've missed something, Ive done it plenty of times, I know the dr can get fed up with me but its their job so I try not to feel too guilty.
i think I know now I'll always be hypersensitive to everything but talking can really help.

sydno
21-08-12, 22:39
thank you so much for your reply eileenb, I am sorry to hear about your parents that must contribute a great deal to your HA. So you have found that meds are helpful and any books in particular that you like pertaining to HA? I don't see much about it here in the US. My dr is very understanding and I trust her but it just seems like it's one thing after another and I try to be rational but I always have the "what if's?" that feeling that this time it's for real, this time it's serious and these latest symptoms just seem out of the ordinary but maybe not for anxiety, hormones etc... they just haven't ever been this bad before. I worry about what if I am not here for my children, all the things I would miss out on. This site has been helpful to see that I am not alone and that others have had similar symptoms as well. What a crazy train to be on. thanks again for reading and replying, it helped!!

eileenb73
21-08-12, 23:16
Hi
Thats always the worry, the what ifs, what if I think its anxiety and its the real thing this time? what if I leave my children? Its horrible to think like that all the time, I know. As much as I feel im annoying my GP I try and tell myself its her job , she doesnt mind, and I get as many second opinions as I feel I need. When my HA is at its worst I take cipralex and it helps me , it usually takes about a week to ten days for it to start helping and I find at first it can make my anxiety slightly worse but I literally count the days till I know I will feel a bit better.
The book I have and have found even just a useful chapter in are
Overcoming health anxiety-katherine m b owens & martin m anthony
The anxiety and phobia workbook- edumnd bourne
Overcoming panic-derrick silove
Panic attacks-christine ingham

sydno
22-08-12, 02:05
thank you for the book recommendations, I will amazon search them. it's so true, the what if's are the worst, I have a rational side, but the what if this is really it gets the best of me (worst of, in this case :)
It seems like the anxiety is so powerful,it can really wreak havoc with everyday body functions, turning not so big of a deal symptoms into fatal and ominous. it's really a burden and an everyday mindful job to try and keep it at bay. thanks for your support, it's appreciated.