PDA

View Full Version : Fatal Insomnia

marcc64
21-08-12, 23:06
Hey guys, lately I've been suffering from severe Insomnia, the last 3 nights I aint got to sleep until least 6-7am then sleep 3 hours, wake up and repeat until midday, when I do sleep I always seem to go right in to REM sleep and have vivid dreams. I'm really scared I have Fatal Familial Insomnia, I know it's probably the rarest disease in the world affecting something like 40 families world wide, but I also hear there is a sporadic form that can happen to anyone at any time.

Now I should add I'm only 21 and was on Zopiclone for 2 months to help me sleep, Zopiclone was great at first but in the end I was taking way too many a night to sleep over 8 hours, was given 28 tablets that I used up in under 1 week (bad I know) so now the last few days it's been a nightmare to sleep. Question is, is it possible I'm having withdrawal even tho I was only on them for a few weeks? I feel tired all day, which is new to me used to sleeping 12 hours+ with never waking up, it seems ever since I started Zopiclone, my sleep has been messed up. Also why do I enter REM sleep so quick? that is what is scaring me, as in REM sleep the brain doesn't rest, so I've convinced myself I have this terrible Fatal Insomnia :(

Anxiety Jim
21-08-12, 23:11
Hi,

I don't think that there's anyway you could tell if you're in REM sleep or not whilst you're sleeping.

And if I remember correctly the cycles between each episode is something like 45 minutes (it was a long time ago since I watched that particular documentary, so I may well be wrong), so as long as you're asleep for at least a couple of hours you should have a few cycles REM and deep sleep.