PDA

View Full Version : To members new and old

diane07
22-08-12, 00:23
I just thought i would share this to help others who feel there is no hope.

I have been a member on here for a fair bit of time now, and i remember when i first found it, i was so relieved that i wasn't alone.

I was agoraphobic and couldn't really do much at all, life terrified me basically.

I won't bore you with the details, but i am back to the person i once was pre-agoraphobia.

Don't ever lose hope or sight that things won't get better because it does and my life is back to how i wanted it to be.

There is always hope, you just have to fight and not flight and stick with it.

Sounds easy but it isn't it was a tough road, but one i succeeded in.

I have every faith that you can succeed too.

di x

bernie1977
22-08-12, 07:28
Congratulations on getting your life back Di.

Sorry to be nosey and I hope you don't mind me asking but how did you do it? CBT, self-help, meds? I'm interested as I have panic disorder with agoraphobia. Been housebound for two years and I'm working really hard on trying to get out.

Littlehelper123
22-08-12, 10:21
So happy for you Di :) as a teenager with anxiety i find it difficult to hold onto hope sometimes. Any tips on how you overcame it? :) xxx

diane07
22-08-12, 20:31
I started with CBT which was really helpful to me, i knew what i had to do it was just so hard to still do things on my own, i was kinda just managing to get my little girl to school etc, i'd relied on other people to take her for me as i was too scared too.

To cut a long story, i left my partner and moved back into my hometown, i was staying with my mum who worked and i had no choice but to take my little girl to school on my own, which i did, it was a new school so its not like i could just drop her at the foot of the school, i had to take her smack bang in the middle of the playground and wait for what seemed a lifetime for her to go in........ Her needs and feelings were more paramount than my panic attacks and so it went on from there.

All the biggies, walking on my own, getting a train on my own, my best one was going back the gym, this took me back to how my life was before agoraphobia came.

It was because i no longer had a choice, there was no-one else to ask to help me do these things, i was just on my own. And it was the best thing that could have ever happened to me.

When the support is taken away, there is no longer a choice, and like i say it wasn't easy but it worked.

di x

bottleblond
22-08-12, 21:12
Well done mate. I am so proud of you and you have came sooooo far with your anxiety and agoraphobia.

You're an inspiration to us all and you've been a rock to me.

Loads of love
Lisa
xxx
:hugs:

nomorepanic
22-08-12, 21:27
Well done Di and thanks for the lovely, positive post - we do love to read them on here.

I am so proud of what you have achieved
xx

bluesparkle
22-08-12, 22:04
hi di
lovely to hear from you...
and wow what good news... you have done brilliantly.
:yesyes:
rach
x

kittikat
22-08-12, 23:26
Great post, well done, such an amazing achievement. You are an inspiration to others and thank you for sharing your success story.

Stay well and best of luck for the future, Kitti :)

diane07
22-08-12, 23:30
Thanks............ so much

i just want this to help give some hope and it can be done

keep fighting that fight

di x

xiand2
23-08-12, 00:23
Diane,

How long did it take you to get from your worst state to your current state?

I've made some improvements using CBT. I can now drive around town, be left alone, go to the gym. How long do you think it would take me to get to my pre-Agoraphobic state?

What exact techniques helped you overcome your anxiety?

I know everyone is different, but I find that it's the subtle things that can make a big difference. For instance, interpreting fight-or-flight symptoms not as extreme anxiety, but as excitement.

I need to test this out more, but I try to remind myself that there's a very fine line between being extremely excited and extremely anxious.

I have trouble with the idea of not being able to escape. Even when I go through exposures, I find myself still planning escape strategies.

diane07
23-08-12, 00:32
You have to stop planning escape routines...................whats the worst that is gonna happen??

Them escape routines and plans have to go, that is a must. you will only be running from you.

Tell it you have no time for it, no props whatsover, there is no need for escape and that is the key.

di x

---------- Post added at 00:32 ---------- Previous post was at 00:29 ----------

Agoraphobia came into my life five years ago, its been a constant battle but the last six months got shut of it:D

xiand2
23-08-12, 00:44
How long did it take you to get from your worst state to pre-Agoraphobic state?

I have a fear that I won't be able to handle it when the fight-or-flight symptoms arise; I'll fold under the pressure. I'm not sure why I fear this, because, as you say, nothing bad will happen. Part of the reason that makes Agoraphobia so frustrating is because it is a) so debilitating and yet b) so transparently irrational.

My exposures have been successful, but I have so much trepidation that it takes me awhile to get around to doing them.

diane07
23-08-12, 00:54
haha you remind me of me when i was going through exposure.

It is the scariest feeling in the world and yet i tackled it head on, but i had no choice i had to get my little girl to school... there was no choice and no escape route.

But keep it in your head, what is the worst that can happen. i so wish i could put myself in your body and do it for you, just to show you.

Keep going out, keep at it every day, doesn't matter how small the walks are but it has to be done every single day and the more often the better.

di

xiand2
23-08-12, 01:03
How long did it take you to get from your worst state to pre-Agoraphobic state?

diane07
23-08-12, 08:27
I would say overall about three months, once i knew i no longer had a safe person, it was a very fast road to recovery.

My only one wish i had was to be able to take my little girl to school and it is so easy now, its no longer a chore but a pleasure, i no longer have to just make it without panicking and that is something i am very proud of myself for.

di x

Veronica H
23-08-12, 09:11
:flowers::bighug1:Well done Di. xV

venusbluejeans
23-08-12, 12:31
Well done Di you have come so far. :)

brilliant encouraging post for those who are suffering at the minute.

Emmz :flowers:

diane07
23-08-12, 12:36
Thank you both x