PDA

View Full Version : Curse of anxiety

jenimate
25-07-06, 21:44
Hullo everyone

I disappeared for a few days as I had internet problems. I've been up & down since I last posted, more up than down.....I think.... I was trying to access this forum at the time my internet failed. I thought it was an omen, but I survived from then till now.

My PA's have lessened over the past few days & the symptoms of 'ill heath' have lessened also, although there were moments when they were really bad.

My 'ill heath' symptoms seem to be centred around my chest, I had self diagnosed the pains were muscular from tension etc & once I convinced myself of that the pain lessened. Yesterday was the best day, no pain, anxiety or pa's.

Today has been not so good, slight panics, but only lasting a short time & as soon as they start I have busied myself, I'm working full time this week & thats working to keep me occupied. But I am left with the chest 'pain' again.....the vicious circle...is the pain due to something being wrong with me or just down to the anxiety??

The pain itself is like a dull ache, not there all the time & certianly not there when I am occupied. I cant decide if its my breats that hurt (hormones) or the area inside....I don't have any pain when I deep breathe (lungs)...but worry sometimes its my heart. I sometimes get backache which is directly behind wherever the pain up front (chest) is.

I do get hormonal associated breast pain, and a year ago had a scan in a breast clinic & was told everything was normal, it was due to the birth control I had not long changed back then. I have a mirena coil & wonder if the pain is maybe a direct result of that.

I know I should talk to my doctor, but I get panics at the thought of going. I did go & see him 2 weeks ago & we discussed the anxiety & he repeated what I already knew, that anxiety manifests itself in many ways & a real proper pain is usually the result.

I am trying to maintain a healthy diet & sleeping is not disturbed too much right now, so I know that when I am asleep all is well.

When I wake up of a morning, those first few wonderful seconds of being pain free, panic free, anxiety free etc etc is fantastic, but then I remember & it all comes crashing back to me & the first thing to happen is butterflies in my tummy...that used to be a nice feeling...not anymore!!!

I wont take meds of any sort, other than the stuff I take for my stomach, after the ulcer 3 years ago. The thought of beta blockers or anti drepressants fills me with dread & the start of a panic.

I have suffered with depression on & off for many years, but have never taken meds, a few times I took one or two pills, but after developing a phobia of meds 3 years ago, I feel I won't ever take anything, other than the capsule for my stomach. I know as I get older I may have to take meds, as generally most older folk do as their bodies begin to wear out etc.

I have a friend who takes meds for just about everything, she also suffers anxiety & pa's, but doesnt have a fear of meds....I envy that...but today she went to see her doc as she was feeling ill etc & seems thats she stopped taking her beta blockers without weaning herself off of them 2 weeks ago. How long does it take for these kind of meds to get out of your system??

I am glad to be back & have been reading lots of the posts....I am still trying to pluck up courage to go & read the health anxiety threads.

Why are so many of us afflicted with this curse??

KevinM
26-07-06, 04:36
Hang in there jen - know your feelings exactly. For me it's been stomach stuff. I ask myself how can a stomach hurt in the same spot for a couple weeks. I'm told it's all anxiety. Like you my pain comes and goes. I take zoloft everyday and I really think it helps - especially since I have gotten to a proper dosage (150 mg per day) I have good days and bad days but I don't shake as much as I used to. I think meds along with counselling will help you. There is much debate on the use of meds, but after 10 years of this, I'll just about anything for a break.

It's true you have to ween off of them or you will have problems, but under proper care, that shouldnt be an issue. My counsellor said I could be on the meds 8-12 months, perhaps longer - everyone is different. I don't think you should fear them - they help - at least for me they do.

Take care

Kevin