PDA

View Full Version : Could anxiety really cause ALL of this?

cjspurlock
22-08-12, 16:43
Hello all!

I know you've probably heard this same question a million times and the answer is usually "YES!" but I wanted to share my story in hopes that someone else has been through the same thing.

I'm a 23-year-old male currently living in the Midwest. Here's my long story:

**Feel free to skip to the end for an overview**

For the past eight months I've been battling a number of baffling symptoms that an army of docs haven't been able to diagnose. A little over a year ago I graduated college, moved from my home in the Midwest to take a job in New York City (a place I had never been before), and also left behind all of my family, friends, and a girlfriend of 3+ years. Talk about stressful.

About a month after moving, I paid a visit to the emergency room because I was experiencing chest pains. At the time, I was afraid I had some mystery heart condition. After a few days in the hospital and several tests (EKGs, x-ray, heart echo, blood tests, urine tests), the doctors assured me I was fine. They told me it was most likely stress-induced costochondritis and prescribed anti-inflammatories. Things got better after a few weeks, but the pain would come back any time I got really stressed.

Fast forward a few months. I had just spent three weeks back home for the holidays, and am now back in New York. About a week after I get back, I catch a cold. It's nothing serious, but it's the first time I've been sick and not had anyone around to take care of me, and it makes me anxious. After about a week, the flu symptoms fade, but I notice some new symptoms: sensitivity to light and sound, pain behind my eyes, persistent headaches centered in my cheeks, temples and forehead, ringing in my ears, dizziness, and popping of my ears when I swallow, burp, blow my nose, etc. As an semi-anxious person, this freaks me out a bit. I see my general physician, and she's not concerned. She runs some blood tests as a follow-up to my hospital stay for the chest pain, and finds nothing out of the ordinary except "high cholesterol" (Total cholesterol = 277, HDL = 78, LDL = 188, Triglycerides = 57). So, she gives me an antibiotic, thinking it's a sinus infection. This doesn't help. Next, she refers me to an ENT.

The ENT prescribes a different antibiotic and sends me home. He's also not concerned. This antibiotic doesn't help. I come back and he puts me on Prednisone, thinking my sinuses are swollen. He also schedules a CT scan of my sinuses. He's still not concerned.

The Prednisone doesn't help much, either. But, the CT scan results come back fairly normal. Some polyps on the inside of my sinuses, but nothing to write home about. The ENT diagnoses me with chronic sinusitis and refers me to an allergist just to make sure there's nothing going on there, but he's still not concerned.

The allergist runs some basic tests and finds I'm not allergic to anything. Big surprise. He blames everything on my sinuses, but can't explain the sensitivity to light/sound, or why I'm STILL dealing with symptoms after 6-8 weeks of this business. So, he refers me to a neurologist just to be safe. But, he's not concerned.

(By this point, I'm dealing with some major health anxiety. My roommate, a social work grad student, encourages me to see a therapist. I'm hesitant, but I decide to give it a shot until I move back to the Midwest in a few months.)

The neurologist runs a basic exam and says I look "normal." He suspects migraines (because of the light/sound sensitivity and persistent headaches) but says he needs to order an MRI just to be thorough. Of course, I freak out, thinking I have some sort of brain tumor. He tells me not to worry, that he's not concerned. He also wants me to see an opthamologist to have my eyes checked out in the mean time.

So, I head to the opthamologist, who says I look normal. I tell her I'm going to change my name to Normal if one more person tells me that. She's not concerned, either. Of course.

A week later, the MRI comes back clean. I should be breathing a sigh of relief, but I'm not...because I'm still in pain. The neurologist is convinced some migraine medication is the answer, and he prescribes Topamax. He tells me to be patient, that it might take 4-6 weeks to start working. After 10 days on the Topamax I'm experiencing severe nausea, loss of appetite, and lots of digestive irregularity (alternating diarrhea and constipation, stomach pain on the right side, back pain in the right flank, reflux, etc.). So, the doc takes me off the meds.

After a few weeks of stomach pain, my primary care doc suggests I get an ultrasound of my abdomen to check for gallstones, ulcers, etc. That scan, of course, comes back "normal" as well.

In the meantime, I see my dentist who orders a nighttime bit guard because he thinks I'm grinding. That seems to help the headaches and dizziness, but not the light or sound sensitivity.

A few weeks later, I move back to the Midwest as scheduled. I hope that leaving New York will help things, but no luck.

Next on my list of doctors: an appointment with a gastroenterologist. He performs an upper endoscopy and colonoscopy and finds nothing as well. A few weeks after that test, the digestive symptoms subside.

But, with the disappearance of one symptom comes another: the chest pain. Similar to what I was feeling in July, but more intense. Stabbing pain in my left side, tightness and pressure across my sternum, popping when I stretch, inability to take a full, deep breath, etc. So, I visit my new primary care doc (bringing with my an armload of paperwork from all the tests I've had done) and he does an EKG on the spot. Again, nothing. Just to be safe, he orders me to wear a 30-day heart monitor and does some blood work. He also prescribes Lexapro, as he's beginning to think this is all anxiety-related. Not wanting to bring any more symptoms into the mix due to the side effects, I elect not to take the Lexapro for awhile.

The blood work (including a thyroid test) comes back fine for the most part. Cholesterol is down, which is good (Total cholesterol = 208, HDL = 83, LDL = 114, Triglycerides = 53). But, he does notice my morning cortisol is a tad high (22.2), so he refers me to an endocrinologist to have that looked into.

The endocrinologist orders a more thorough 24-hour urine cortisol test, which comes back...wait for it...normal.

Around that time I get the heart monitor results back, and they show no irregular activity. My primary care doc suggests I follow up with a cardiologist to review the heart monitor results and see if any further testing is necessary.

The cardiologist reviews the results, does a treadmill stress test (which is normal) and orders a tilt table test to check for POTS. That tilt table test was this morning, and the preliminary results show nothing out of the ordinary. Ugh. :curse:

tl;dr

So, in summary, I've had the following tests done:

CT of the sinuses
MRI of the brain and orbits
Ultrasound of the abdomen
Colonoscopy and upper endoscopy
Several EKGs
30-day heart monitor
Heart echo
Treadmill stress test
24-hour urine cortisol test
Tilt-table test
Several blood tests

And, to date, I'm still battling the following symptoms:

Chronic sensitivity to light and sound
Brain fog that lasts all day
Headaches that last most of the day
Occasional dizziness and lightheadedness
Chest tightness and pressure
Painful popping of the sternum when I stretch
Inability to take a full, deep breath due to what feels like tightness in the chest and back
Shakiness and shortness of breath during exercise
Fatigue
Somewhat decreased appetite
General feeling of malaise all day, every day
Depression and health anxiety

Here are the remedies I've tried so far, with varying degrees of relief:

Acupuncture
Yoga
Chiropractic 3x per week for spinal misalignment
Herbal supplements and Chinese medicine
Strict heathy diet (no caffeine or soda, no processed food or grains, no gluten, minimal dairy, lots of fish, some chicken and beef, a whole garden of vegetables, some fruit)
At least 8 hours of sleep per night
Cognitive behavioral therapy once per week

At this point, I don't know what else to do. I don't want to take the Lexapro. I want to be able to fix this on my own, the natural way. But...I'm beginning to lose hope that I can do it. Some days I believe it's all anxiety-related, and other days I worry I have fibromyalgia, Lyme disease, a pulmonary issue, a hidden brain problem, etc. You guys know the drill with health anxiety. ;)

So...has anyone suffered similar symptoms? Do you all have any advice to offer? I'm getting desperate here!

Sorry for the long story!

Thanks!

vicky-books
22-08-12, 17:09
Hello there! Those symptoms sound very familiar! Sensitivity to light - check, chest pain- BIG CHECK, tightness in chest, high blood pressure, headaches, generally feeling awful and think death is just around the corner, and on and on and on. It's SO hard to accept that this is all caused by anxiety - you would almost feel better if a doctor said "Yes, you have........" then you have something to blame it on knowing that you will get well again. Anxiety unfortunately has no miracle pill to cure it - find the things that work for you, stick with them and develop them and ditch the stuff that doesn't help. Everyone is different. Chin up, each day is another day won and things will improve. TIME and PATIENCE with yourself and the two keys I believe but in the meantime its fine to get fed up with yourself and sulk from time to time. V <3

cjspurlock
22-08-12, 17:12
Thanks for the reply!

You're right, I would almost rather a doctor just say, "You have XXX disease" than battle this sometimes, but I guess I should be grateful that I only think I'm dying. Haha.

Patience is so hard, especially when you live every day in such pain and discomfort.

Stay strong, and thanks again!

Gotagetthroughthis
22-08-12, 17:20
Reading your story is very interesting to me as it is very similar to mine.

My symptoms all started with chest pains. I had ECG and blood tests which came back normal apart from my cholesteral which was high, like yours. Mine was a little higher. Im also in a constant fog and have dizzyness everyday with slight headaches. I havnt had any of the neurological tests that youve had yet, im just in the proccess of getting referred. I had an eye test today which was normal and they suggest seeing a neurologist, as i seem to periodicly get one pupil bigger than the other.

Im thinking can the high cholesteral be indicative of something, as we both have similar symptoms. Im the same age as you. I also dont live a particular unhealthy lifestyle. Have a take away now and then and i did exercise regualraly up until a month ago. so the high Cholesteral is odd.

I do have anxiety but i feel its something else causing all this. I have many other symptoms on top of the ones mentioned.

So i dont really have any advice as I dont know whats going on myself but I hope we can get to the bottom of this.

Welcome to no more panic and keep us updated.

footballking
23-08-12, 21:29
Hello, I get the dizziness and chest pains and loss of balance, also most recently.

I am currently on wait to see a cardiologist. however, I had an MRI in 2010 for headaches which showed I 'might' have chair malformation. which could possibly cause all of these symptoms.

Make sure to ask your neurologist about this, as it is not a well known condition" "Chairi malformation" It is where the back of your head is a bit lower down, which can cause it to press on your nerves and cause this imbalance, headaches, pains and so on.

Not trying to scare you, as I was told 'I might have it' but they didn't look into it further because I did not have symptoms at that time. But they sound similar to what you are going through.

Let me know what your neurologist says.

I am also going to go back to my neurologist and see for sure, as this would cause us not to think we're going crazy but we have a legitimate condition which is not too serious.

laura442
24-08-12, 08:46
I could pretty much say I have had ALL of your symptoms from one time to another, I do didnt want to take lexapro but after weeks and weeks of research I found lexapro (escitralopram) the newest and cleanest ssri with the least se's. I have been on 5mg just over 2 weeks now and 99% of all of those symptoms and worries have no disappeared. Its not an easy choice to decide to take meds but for my instance my quality of life was so poor, (not leaving the house, constant worry about my health, panic anxiety, crying all the time unexplained health symptoms) I had to listen to my family and my doctor who all said I need to take some meds. Its not all been plain sailing but I feel 99% better now and im sooooo glad I bit the bullet. Sending my love to you all xxx

Jules147
24-08-12, 09:12
After all those tests I find it hard to believe that no doctor has asked you about your breathing or emotional state. How much did that lot cost btw?

You've listed classic anxiety symptoms even down to the one disappears and another comes along. Uprooting yourself from loved ones like that was bound to take its toll on you somehow and catching a bad cold under such circumstances is bound to have left you feeling pretty run down. That's when the dark thoughts enter your head and with them come fear and eventually the ultimate fear - death. All physical causes have been eliminated and nobody has diagnosed you with anxiety. The cynic in me says they are only too happy to keep lining their pockets with exhaustive work-ups and tests.

At this point I will say that the American healthcare system sucks and no I'm not a communist!

You should begin by reading some books:

Self Help for your Nerves by Dr Claire Weekes and her follow-up book Essential Help for your Nerves.

Overcoming Health Anxiety by Dr David Veale.

http://www.veale.co.uk/

Your mind is very powerful and thought alone can bring on some pretty powerful physical symptoms and sensations. The light sensitivity, watery eyes, headaches and muscle aches, the buzzing and popping are brought on by tension. Your body is tensing up in response to a perceived threat. You may sometimes notice that your neck and shoulder muscles are sometimes very very stiff.

When I was going through the same as you just over 12 months ago I asked my therapist why the DSM IV questionnaire on anxiety did not make any reference to physical symptoms and only to thoughts an emotional state.

His answer was that if we fix your mind/emotional state your physical symptoms will disappear. He was right; they did!

It will take time and it will be more of a fading-away process than instant disappearance but it will begin with acceptance that although the physical symptoms are real it is your mind causing them, acceptance that these sensations and symptoms have nothing sinister at source, learning to challenge dark thoughts with more plausible, less onerous and less frightening alternative scenarios, practising muscle relaxation techniques and finslly learning to breathe properly again. You need to practise breathing in through your diaphragm and not your thorax; in for seven counts through your nose, out through pursed lips for eleven counts. This will restore a healthy carbon dioxide/oxygen balance in your bloodstream and tackle that light-headedness problem of yours. Practise this breathing technique for 3 minutes at a time, 3 times a day both when you feel relatively relaxed and when you feel anxious. Do it while you walk through the mall or across a parking lot or while you are waiting in line. Eventually you will do it unconsciously, i.e. breathe more slowly and deeply automatically.

If the books/breathing and muscle relaxation exercises don't quite help enough you need to ask for a referral for Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. [Edit: I see you are doing that. Do they talk about the connection between the physical and the emotional? Are you completing all the tasks?]

Oh, and how is your social life shaping up in NYC since you've been cut off from your loved ones. Having a network of loved-ones and close friends can make all the difference.