PDA

View Full Version : Problems Swallowing

Gregor
26-07-06, 02:21
Hi,

I'm worried because i'm starting to have problems swallowing. About 6 months ago, i had really big swallowing issues. I couldn't eat solid food and spent about 2 months just eating soup (for breakfast, lunch, dinner) everyday. Obviously, that's not good for many reasons, including making my anxiety worse. I somehow managed to get over that. However, the past few days, i'm starting to struggle again. I'm still eating reasonably well, but every so often i almost choke on my food because i'm, for some reason, scared to swallow. Then, there's also the problem i'm now having with taking my medication. I take about 5 minutes to swallow each spoonful and that's if i do actually swallow it... sometimes i just give up because it's taking too long! I think things were made worse the other day when i swallowed it too quickly and nearly choked on it.

Gregor

www.therapyfinda.com
www.therapyfinda.com/blogs/members.php?membername=Gregor

nomorepanic
26-07-06, 08:41
You are not alone.

Check out the posts on here....

Links to posts about Common Problems (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7784)

I have mine a year on still!

Nicola

the8th
26-07-06, 23:31
This is a major reason I am not on drugs right now. I just couldn't swallow them. I have had this issue on and off. When it resurfaces I get very mad at myself for letting it get to me.

Don't worry, you will not choke on your food. How many people have you seen choke on food before? It doesn't happen often. Do you find that if you're not thinking of something it's easier to do? Try watching TV or reading the internet while you eat just to get used to eating solids again.

I know it feels odd. You realise it's stupid but you can't help it. I usually try to calm myself down first and then try again when I am more calm. Eventually it will go down. And you will realise it is nothing to worry about.

jenimate
27-07-06, 00:02
I get this now & then as well.

Usually when eating meat..... I used to really fret when my kids were small & weaning them onto solid food & wonder if I have transfered it onto myself now they are all old enough to be eating anything.

Even now I hate it when my youngest, aged 8 eats boiled sweets or something.