PDA

View Full Version : new to panic attacks

jo-jo
31-05-04, 11:41
Hi, my name is jo.m and I'm new to the forum and also fairly new to panic attacks. Please forgive me for rambling on but it's great to have a safe a place where I can share all this with people who understand.

I started having my attacks about 3 months ago and have little doubt they were brought on by life events - final exams at uni, moving house and getting married. I had hoped that following my last exam they would ease up (the exams were awful as I was constantly trying to fight the panic, plus being a slightly older student felt a huge pressure to succeed) but alas, 2 hours after my last exam when I was with my friends celebrating the end of out time together, I had one of my worsy attacks yet and had to go home, where I felt ill for the rest of the day. Since then I've been terrible and had to leave a restaurant where I was having dinner with friends on Saturday and then had a big panic attack in the car with my parents and fiance yesterday - the worst symptom i get is feeling nauseous and I often think if it wasn't for this I could cope.

My GP had prescribed me diazepam 2mg to take over the exam period and I'm now on my 3rd day of the SSRI Fluoxetine (Prozac) and feel worse than ever so far .. although I've heard the drugs sometimes may you worse before you feel better so I'm sticking with it! Problem is, I have a hen night to deal with next week and fly from the UK to Las Vegas to get married in 3 weeks so I was wondering if anyone knew how long the SSRIs take to work or whether there are any interventions that might help in the short term - hypnotherapy etc?

Also, does anyone have any tips on how to stop the nausea when I start to feel panicky - the 7/11 breathing only seems to make it feel worse as it increases all the sensations I get in my tummy?

Many thanks for listening and for your help
jo.m

nomorepanic
31-05-04, 12:17
Hi Jo

Welcome to the site. You do have a lot going on don't you and what a bad time to be getting panic when you are getting married in 3 weeks (congratulations for that in advance).

Nost medications take a few weeks to kick in so stick with them ok. Will the doc allow you to have some Diazepam for the trip away as well?

Have you heard of Rescue Remedy? That will take the edge of the panic/anxiety feelings and may help on the BIG day too.

There are quite a few posts on here about nausea, enter that word in the search box at the top of the screen.

Welcome aboard and I hope we can help.

Nicola

Tessie28
31-05-04, 14:20
Hi Jo,
as Nicola says they will take a few weeks to 'kick in'so hang with it. I swear by them. Are you frightened about the flight? I'm a terrible flyer but did make it to LA in March. I found a good site scaredoflying where people helped me a lot. If not the flight the I guess everything coming at once which can't be easy.

You have come to right place here though and will find lots of help and support[^],
take care,
love Tess

Meg
31-05-04, 15:45
Hi Jo ,

Up to about 4 weeks to kick in and yes, you may well feel worse to start with before they kick in. Not much helps this- need to get through it
Nausea - tonic water when it first starts and get a good few burps going which it ease it considerably. Any fizzy drink will dop but tonic is more heavily carbonated so is almost instant relief.

Do read First steps in the welcome introduction section too .

Don't avoid anywhere is the major message .

Good luck with it all. Keep in touch and post as many questions as you like .

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

sarah
31-05-04, 17:28
Hi Jo

Welcome to the site!
Mine panics started when I had a few life changing things to deal with so I understand totally.

You could definately give hypnotherapy a try, I had 5 sessions and by the 3rd I was definately showing major improvement.

Take care and let us know how you are doing and good luck with the wedding and everything, im sure you will have a lovely day!!

love Sarah
xx

we arent mad, just the next stage of evolution :)

jo-jo
31-05-04, 17:40
Hi everyone

Thanks so much for your replies, this really is a lovely site and whilst I wish that none of us had to suffer panick attacks, it really does feel better to know that there are so many of us around and there is a great support network here.

I'm going to try complimentary/alternative medicine over the next couple of weeks (anything to help me feel better before I jet off for my BIG day) so i'll let you know how I get on - fingers crossed!

Lots of love Jo xxx

sadie
31-05-04, 18:21
Hi Jo,

Congratulations on your forthcoming wedding...I went to Vegas as part of my honeymoon and it is a fab place to visit....I definetly would love to go back.

Anyway, I would keep taking your pills as they will eventually help you get control of things but as Meg says they do take a few weeks to work. In the meantime make sure you relax as best you can each day...weddings are very stressful events and its worse when you have panic to deal with too. I had to take a beta blocker ont the day of my wedding just to keep me from panicing and I had a stress free day.

Try the rescue remedy when you feel a panic attack coming as it does help. Make sure you eat healthily and get enough sleep and if all fails go back to your GP to see what he can do for you in the short-term.

Keep in touch.

sadie

stimpy
01-06-04, 01:00
Many congratulations!

It sounds to me as if the stress of final exams, moving house and getting married has turned your panic switch to on. Which is understandable, the top 3 causes of stress right there on your list.

Try to relax as much as you can, once you master the breathing and calming thought process you have almost cracked it.
Medication can take several weeks to kick in, in some cases it may take several attempts for you to get the right medication for you.

Good luck, I hope everything works out okay for you

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx
With hard work and determination and all the things you know.
The world is there for you to take. There's nowhere you can't go.

[:p]Scatty Eccentric & 'Poet Laureate to panic and anxiety'

diana
03-06-04, 14:19
Hiya Jo,

Welcome aboard, So glad you found your way here. :)

You will find loadsa support and suggestions here.

This site has been a life saver for me. :)

The folks here as you have already experienced are great. :)

Congratulations!!!! on the upcoming wedding.

I`ve never been to Las Vegas but hear it is lovely. I`m sure it will be wonderful.

Hang in there with the meds, you will start to see an improvement soon.

As Liz mentioned in her post "NO WONDER YOU HAVE ANXIETY/PANIC" with the top 3 stressors on your list.

It sounds as if you are coping quite well under the circumstances, so well done you. :)

Keep us updated on things okay?

Congratulations on the completion of your exams at the University as well.

Take care,

Diana xxx

jo-jo
03-06-04, 18:43
Hi everyone and thanks for your lovely messages.

Had my first go with a relaxation CD today and I have to admit to feeling a little more positive already. I guess the hard thing will be keeping it up and trying to fit some time in each to relax - but I'm sure it will be well worth it.

Keep up the great work, lots of love Jo xxx

stimpy
03-06-04, 23:51
Well done for giving the relaxation CD a go.
It will help and it is very worthwhile, it is something you have to make time to do.

Once you master the art of relaxing, you will be able to do it without the CD and you will it will help you in times of great stress.

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx
With hard work and determination and all the things you know.
The world is there for you to take. There's nowhere you can't go.

[:p]Scatty Eccentric & 'Poet Laureate to panic and anxiety'

diana
05-06-04, 19:29
Hiya Jo,

So glad to hear the relaxation CD has helped you a bit.

Keep at it dear, it will get better and easier. ;)

Try your best to fit it in everyday, or atleast as often as possible.

It will be well worth your efforts.

Keep us updated on your progress.

Take care,

Love Diana xxx

jo-jo
06-06-04, 18:56
Hi everyone

Thanks for your messages - I've actually had about 4 good days in a row so things have been looking up. Not that the anxiety wasn't there, it just didn't blow up in to a full on panic attack. I've been practicing my relaxation and have started a course of acupuncture and traditional chinese medicine too so hopefully, somewhere alongly something is starting to help.

Also managed to survive my hen night last night. I was really worried that I'd end up bolting from the restaurant but I'd told all my friends about how I'm feeling and they scaled it right down so we just had a nice quiet meal (with me on tonic water!). I did try an Irish coffee at the end of the evening but halfway through drinking it I got a bit jittery so didn't drink the rest - not sure if it was the caffine or the alcohol (or both), just hope I can manage a glass of bubbly on my wedding day!

Lots of love
Jo xx

sarah
06-06-04, 19:06
Hiya Jo

Im so glad you survived your hen night last night, did you enjoy yourself too?
That really good that your friends were so understanding. Must make you feel that they are really true friends eh?
Now you have got your wedding to look foreward to and we want to hear ALL about it when you get back!!!!

take care
love Sarah
xx

we arent mad, just the next stage of evolution :)

diana
07-06-04, 20:05
Well done Jo!!!!

So glad to hear your hen night went well. ;)

So pleased to hear that you have had 4 good days in a row. GREAT NEWS!!!!!

I hope this is a new beginning for you.

Great coping. :)

Keep us updated on the acupuncture and the traditional chinese medicine.

Keep practicing your relaxation. It will get easier and better. ;)

Good to hear that you have supportive friends.

The Jittery feeling you were feeling was probably a combination of both the caffeine and the alcohol. Not a good combination ey?

I am sure you will be able to get atleast (a) glass of bubbly down for your wedding.

Make sure you post all the details when you return.

We will be looking forward to it. :)

Take care and best wishes dear.

Diana xxxx

Meg
07-06-04, 21:11
When thats all done the pressure will really be off you and you can finally let go ofall your tension ,I hope - at least till you start your masters ..

Have a great time

Meg

april tones
07-06-04, 21:31
hi jo, all my anxiety, depression etc started after i had my son, moved house same day, moved house twice in pregnancys, mom and dad sold house to move to france. It all takes a toll on you believe me. Marriage definatly would make you nervous and anxios, congratulations though. Yeah as everyone else said stick with tabs and 2 to 4 weeks they will kick in and you wont regret taking them =, love april x

apriltones

diana
08-06-04, 18:23
April,

That`s alot of "STRESS"!!!!!!

No wonder all your anxiety/panic and depression started at once. ;)

So glad you are here to share. LOL........... ;)

Take care all,

Diana xxx