PDA

View Full Version : Constant Tummy Ache

Silly Blonde
26-07-06, 10:45
Sorry for going on about this (I have posted before) but I'm working myself up over the fact that I have had tummy ache on and off for about 6 months now. I am almost off my meds, but am still going for acupuncuture once a week.

It is soooooo painful, and I am convinced that there is something wrong. My GP just says its IBS (and has said this many times), but can IBS be sooo painful??? And how come the usual remedies don't work - probiotics, colpermin and colofac tablets, peppermint tea, quitting smoking etc.

I don't even feel that stressed at the moment and yet my tummy will not stop hurting. Its really low down, dull ache, mainly on the left. I got married about 2 months ago - and

I have had a pelvic ultrasound which confirmed that there was nothing wrong with me gyny-wise and my routine smear came back normal.

I'm not losing weight and am not passing any blood, but am still convinced I have stomach or bowel cancer or both.

Really fed up and tearful today - only because it still hurts :(

SB xx

EebyJeeby
26-07-06, 11:34
Hi SB,

You don't need to apologise here you know. You can post anytime with whatever's on your mind.

I don't know about IBS (perhaps someone will come along to confirm IBS symptoms) but I have had a similar pain to yours - low down on the left but mine also went down my thigh and up round to my back on the left, leading them to suspect a kidney infection. Tests proved negative so I had to live with it. It felt exactly like appendicitis but on the other side.

To cut a long story short, mine turned out to be muscular. Believe it or not, there are muscles which line the inner surface of your pelvic bones - they are used for lifting your knees etc. It turned out that I had injured mine when moving house (shoving heavy boxes along the floor with the inside of my foot duh). My friend is a sports therapist and she said that it is a fairly common thing in certain sports and gave me some exercises to do. It has really improved with rest and the stretching exercises. The only time it gives me bother now is if I have been driving. I have an automatic and my redundant clutch leg tends to flop out to the side (not very ladylike!!) and this affects the muscle.

Importantly, tension generally makes these things worse - you carry your whole body differently when anxious and over an extended period this can lead to all sorts of niggles.

Eeb x

**whenwillthisend**
26-07-06, 11:41
hi im too sufferring from this sort of pain.. a dull annoying ache, mainly low down in the pelvic area towards my left side ive been having this on off for 2 months now..been to doctors got useless reply so i asked to see a gynacologist went last week and he told me i have a hormonal problem..not had any scans though as he was happy with my examination just got to wait for results of a smear....like you i have thought of cancer in every area!

i was thinking this morning why im having these aches and pains..is it really in my head , am i imagining it or worrying so much im giving my self these pains...or is there really something serious wrong with me and the longer i leave it the less chance im going to survive this 'terminal' illness...(how silly can we think!?)

i think you should be assurred from your scan you are okay in that area and its probably IBS combined with anxiety and the more we worry the worse we are going to feel...
i hope you feel better soon

Juliamidlands
26-07-06, 11:57
hey honey

I can relate to this, in fact probably most of us can!

I usually have stomach aches for two reasons
1.Anxiety
2.I have a big intolerance to milk

Now I love my food but sometimes if I am going through a particularly anxious time, then I hardly feel like eating (not for long though, or I would be a lot lighter than I am!!! :-))
In fact sometimes I feel really sick and like you I've been convinced that there is something seriously wrong (was convinced I had stomach cancer a few weeks ago but in fact it was just because I have been so stressed about the situation with the house.

Don't worry hun. Easier said than done I know- just another one of the smelly anxiety symptoms we have to deal with ! :-(

'Never be afraid to try- remember, amateurs buit the Ark...professionals built the Titanic'

nomorepanic
26-07-06, 11:59
Try this ..

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/NMPcms.php?nmppage=ibs)

Nicola

jackie
26-07-06, 22:10
oh this sounds like anxiety and irritable bowel, it really can be that sore and it is still so sore also because it is the symptom you fear most at the moment.

its a vicious circle that we are all in but you are not alone . i swear mine is that bad many times

jackie

Lindalou64
27-07-06, 15:04
I CAN RELATE I HAD A BELLY PROB SINCE MARCH BAUSEA AND PAIN THEY DONE EVER TEST ON ME SAYS ITS LONG TERM STRESS.JUST WHAT I WANTED TO HEAR CAUSE SHE SAID I WAS DOING IT TO MYSELF NOW WHO ON EARTH WOULD MAKE THEMSELVES SICK BUT NOW AS THE MONTHS GO ON AND SOMETHINGS COMES UP I FEEL SICK I STILL CANT EAT IN THE DAY EVEN THE SMELL MAKES ME SICK THEY DID GIVE ME A PILL PROMETHAZINE WHICH DOES HELP BUT ITS ONLY SHORT TERM AND I DO GET THAT SHARP PAIN IN LOWER BELLY I JUST GO WITH IT NOW I HAVE NO ANSWES I WISH YOU THE BEST BUT LIKE THEY SAID ANXIETY USUALLY ALWAYS STARTS IN STOMACHE EVEN WHEN I THOT I DIDNT HAVE ANY ANXIETY..........LINDA

alexm
01-08-06, 11:00
I had IBS for a number of years when doing exams and things and the pain can be very bad. from what you are saying it sounds like IBS. I was in my late teens at the time and i think with some maturity the symptoms have all but vanished. im not shure what medication is availible these days but i remember being perscribed some peppermint essance capsuals which at the time were a miraculas... they had a hard capsual so it desolved in the bowel not stomac and soothed 95% of IBS spasams for me.. maybe worth asking doc.. i was perscribed them when IBS was getting very painfull.

hayles
01-08-06, 11:58
Hello there.
Sorry to hear you are feeling ropey at the mo.
Its just your anxiety getting the bettr of you, which no doubt you know that already.

I have just come back from a wonderful honeymoon. Which was fab and my anxiety to be honest wasnt that bad, but it seems to have spiked up again since i have got back.

And i thought after the wedding i would be ok. Have just stopped my Meds too. Weened myself off over a few months!

Hope i dont have to go back on them!

Keep your chin up love xx

Hay x