PDA

View Full Version : Fear of travel, slowly losing Myself.

Dempsey55
25-08-12, 12:09
Hi,

I'm new here, I thought I would try this out as I can't talk to anyone in my life about my problems. I think I need somewhere I can be completely honest, and that might help me.

In 2009 and 2010 I was confident, outgoing, adventurous...I travelled all over America for 6 months...twice. I never liked flying, but I did it anyway because I was so desperate for adventure.

I used to regularly get the train or bus to London, from the midlands, and get the tube and buses onc in London, and I reall loved the place. But since moving her in 2010, everything has changed.

Very slowly I have begun to hate getting on tube trains, and then overground trains....then ny trains, and then buses, and now i even get anxious in cars or taxis, particularly at traffic lights an in traffic jams.

This has completely changed my life, and has pretty much stopped me from living my life, and stopped me from enjoying living in this great city.

The thought of getting on a bus or train absolutely terrifies me and makes me feel sick. I constantly search online for stories of people being able to escape stalled trains or buses so I can take with me some knowledge of a way in which I can get off if the train or bus stops.

I am terrified of bing trapped, nothing helps, I haven't got on a train for a year, or a bus for 6 months.

I don't understand why I am letting this appen to me, but I can't control it.

I think I have a mixture of fears or anxieties, such as...being out of control of a situation, being trapped, and being BORED. I honestly think I have a fear of boredom.

Has anyone else experienced any of these feelings, and do you have any tips for coping with them?

I can't take drugs as these panic me even more, I hav been obsessed with my heartbeat since my best friend suddenly and unexpectedly passed away at the end of January due to sudden adult death, which resulted in a heart attack. Us as only made my fears and anxieties worse, and the thought of using anything like beta blockers that effect your heart scares me lost as much as getting on transport.

I hope someone can help.

Thank you.

Dizzzie
25-08-12, 12:40
Hey there i can relate to a degree i have suffered with panic attacks for a while but recently going in the car was awfull espcially if was stuck in traffic became very aggitated, my last episode was stuck in traffic last saturday on m5 traffic coming bk from cornwall had massive panic attack almost got out of the car on the motorway, hence it prompted me to join here and also see my doctor i am taking babysteps, yesterday i drove to shop only 5 mins away where i knew the road was not busy aswell took someone understanding with me and i got through it monday i am trying to go further as i have to go bk to work soon , are you seeing anyone as a result of your anxiety or fears , i am currently on citalopram for panic attacks and its going ok 6 days in maybe you should discuss options or therapy with your doctor hope you feel better soon x:hugs:

---------- Post added at 12:40 ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 ----------

i had major anxiety about going on citalopram and of course i have had side effects but i think the long time will pay off rather than suffer with this constant anxiety and panic attacks daily but there are other alternatives there is therapy or homeopathic avenues u can go down x

Donny
25-08-12, 12:53
Exposure therapy will sort this out. The only way to get back to living your life is to get back to living it.

Start doing the journeys you used to do but only go one stop and back again and slowly build from there. It takes a lot of guts though (I have just gone through this myself so know what it takes)

I have to add that I am on cipralex and have just finished a CBT course and don't think I would have been able to face getting back out and about without them.