PDA

View Full Version : Hi, I've just joined and suffer with panic attacks

MegH
25-08-12, 20:55
Hi i'm Megan, 16 years old and last year i started suffering with panic attacks. My dad also has them, and i think they were triggered by stress with exams and now that I'm going to be starting 6th form they seem to becoming more frequent again. I joined to hear what other people have to say, and any advice or techniques people can offer. :)

nomorepanic
25-08-12, 21:06
Hi MegH

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Littlehelper123
27-08-12, 22:17
hey hun =) I'm in the year above ya , i suffered from them too - the best advice i can give you is keep busy, breathe and maybe get some CBT which will help you learn to stop them =) really helpful! xx

MegH
28-08-12, 13:52
hey, ok thank you :) xx

Sparkle1984
28-08-12, 18:09
Hi Megan, welcome to the forums. :) I'm guessing you received your GCSE results last week? I went through that 12 years ago and I was nervous about starting 6th form college as well. Once I'd settled in, I was fine. I find the dread of doing something new is always worse than the actual event itself!

Dizzzie
28-08-12, 18:23
hey there i also suffer with panic attacks mine became daily therefore i sought help from my doctor in the form of medicine and a therapist if i feel 1 coming on i try to take some deep breaths, they say to welcome the attack however i have not tried that i listen to my ipod last thing ast night with headphones on and have recently found cuddling up with hot water bottle in bed helps hope you feel better soon x:hugs:

MegH
28-08-12, 20:07
sparkle- Thank you :) Yes i did, which was so scary!! I do find that once i'm doing something then i'm fine, it's just the thought and i get myself worked up which doesn't help.
Dizzzie- Hello, i have been to the doctor but it didn't really help. Ok, that sounds like a good idea, I'll try the hot water bottle method as well! Thank you:)
xxx