PDA

View Full Version : Sertraline For Social Anxiety

PaulNI
26-08-12, 01:25
Hi guys, I need some advice.

I've been prescribed Sertraline for social anxiety and I want some advice on whether or not I should take it.

Basically I have really bad facial blushing i.e. my face goes bright red when I get embarrassed and it's really noticeable, the sort of thing that some people like to torment me with when they notice it when something triggers it.

Anyway it's been a life long affliction and I hate the problem (biggest cause of misery in my life), so I fear social situations which is a usual trigger point and I always feel very anxious due to this problem and constantly on end in those situations.

I've been prescribed Sertraline, even though I made it clear I wanted a Benzodiazepine. The doctor would not give me a Benzodiazepine due to the addictiveness of them.

Anyway last week I managed to get my hands on a couple of Diazepam (2mg) which I cut in half (1mg) and took one before a social situation, freakin wonder drug for me! Totally different person, I didn't have a care in the world and it gave me exactly the effect I was looking for and that night I had a great time.

I can only describe the effect as this 100% calm and relaxed feeling which is exactly what I want for these situations

The problem I have with Sertraline is I have to take this every day, that does not suit my needs/requirements because I don't need nor want a permanent mind altering drug. All I want is a fast acting tablet like Diazepam that I can take in social situations where I may get anxious, mainly a weekend thing for Friday/Saturday.

Furthermore I'm not even sure I would build up a tolerance to Diazepam if I only take it occasionally for social anxiety. Anyway I'd really appreciate your advice from anyone who has taken Sertraline, the biggest issue I'm gonna have is getting the doctor to even consider my needs as my doctor seemed so against me using any form of Benzodiazepine.

Or should I just try the Sertraline anyway?

tisa
16-10-12, 17:20
Hi, Ive just read your post and i'm interested to know if you started the Sertraline and if so how you got on? I suffer with Social Anxiety and I currently take Citalopram (which I don't think works for me anymore) I've been considering asking my doctor if I can switch to Sertraline.
Also, Propranolol can be prescribed to take on an 'as and when required' basis

Laura123
16-10-12, 18:01
Propranolol as and when required is great for these kind of situations, you should read up on it z

TidyboyTHFC
17-10-12, 11:02
take it from me, do not start taking diaz or any other benzo for social anxiety. its amazing in the first 4 weeks but then you just need more and more. i started taking a half (1mg) when i got stressed or to get me through the day, then in 8 months i was taking up to 50-60mg of the stuff a day. it made me depressed and hated being addicted to it. had to go to the doctors and get tapered off it. while im being tapered he has put me on sertraline. started at 50mg now im on 150mg. it will take a while to work and wont be instant but im hoping its going to get me in a place where i want to be.

suzeelew
17-10-12, 23:09
diazapam used only when needed has been a life saver for me!!!
ive nevr got to point wer im addicted to it but just use when im having n episode...
was on citalopram but felt horrendous on it.. now on sertraline 100mg and 25 mg of quetiapine.......
i have an array of medical problems and take 12 different types of medication...sometimes life is hard but we only get one shot at it so make the best of what u have x

reddevil
28-01-13, 13:15
I'm currently taking Sertraline 25mg for social anxiety and I'm on day 10, because it's controlling my life etc.

I was wondering if any of you on this thread have had positive results regarding Sertraline and social anxiety?

Red