PDA

View Full Version : Hi

dano1o
16-09-03, 20:07
I'm Dan, 19, from South Wales. I finished A levels in 2001 and took a gap year to work abroad, but I had to come back after a week due to severe panic attacks. My doctor prescribed Effexor for depression and I've been on it all this year, with varying moods and anxiety.
>I'm off to London this Sunday to start a degree course in French and German(at UCL), but already the anxiety has started - feeling sick, increased heartrate, expect you know it all! In my mind I'm looking forward to uni as it's something I've always wanted to do but my body seems so stressed out!
I'd appreciate any advice/tips anyone could give here
Thanks.
Dan.

Meg
16-09-03, 22:59
Hi Dan,

Well done for getting into Uni.

Your body symptoms are completely normal for anyone taking that step, I would suspect that at least 70% of your class mates to be are feeling very similar things to a lesser or greater extent.
However the difference is that as you've had panic attacks previously you are extremely sensitive to recognising when you don't feel exactly right.

Try to see these symptoms as excitement with apprehension and not anxiousness. The body responds in exactly the same way for both emotions of anxiety and excitement. The only difference is how you interpret the messages either : Oh no or Wow... !! Think about it.

Keep really positive thoughts foremost in your mind and do not let yourself follow toxic thought processes that go .. what if... keep to the ones that go ...It's new and exciting and I have lots of new experienecs to try out and I'm just justifiably apprehensive. So will everyone else be.

If the increased heartrate really bothers you the most try to visit your GP and ask for some betablockers - as long as you're not asthmatic. They will prevent your heartrate increasing so much .

Remember though : none of these symptoms are harmful to you and if you stay with it they will pass. All unis have good access to nurses and counsellors and this is such a common thing with first years they will have seen it time and again. Once you've settled down in a couple of terms time, you might want to discuss with someone why you had panic attacks previously and deal with those issues to help you come off Effoxor.

Do feel free to log back on here and get some support any time you need it.

Get stuck in and really divert yourself and get involved in a variety of activities and enjoy....Oh, I guess do some work too.

Sois sage

Meg