PDA

View Full Version : i dont know if i can cope

gem7
26-08-12, 14:55
its my brothers birthday on wednesday he wants to have it in cardiff and as the day is getting closer i.m feeling sick with fear as i havent left the house since june my anxiety is really bad dont know if i can cope plus i got to go on a train to get there getting on the train is fine its just i dont like waiting if the train is late then having people looking and stareing at me when i do go out i always pick cornor tables and also we planning on having a meal when were there and i cant eat in public i find it hard too cos of anxiety any advice please thanks

CuriousCat
29-08-12, 02:38
Hi gem7,

I'm sorry to see that you haven't had any replies on here yet. I'm new to this site, so I've only just seen this post myself, I hope you are able to read my reply before you set off to Cardiff tomorrow.
As I said, I am new to this site myself, but after browsing the side-bar and a couple of threads in the forum, I have to say that there is a lot of useful information on coping with anxiety and panic.
I think that taking that trip to Cardiff tomorrow will be a huge positive step, especially considering you haven't left your house since June. It sounds like you have several obstacles to overcome tomorrow, but all can be dealt with in similar ways, all can be dealt with full stop.

You should take a little time to look through the articles in the sidebar on the left of this site, these and some posts in the forum are very informative and helpful. I have read through some myself and instantly felt calmer. I just tried to link a couple of helpful posts, but my post count isn't high enough to include links, so I'm going to copy and paste some of text from one article that I think would be of most use to you;

If You Are having A Panic attack NOW

Remember that although your feelings and symptoms are very frightening they are not dangerous or harmful.
Understand that what you are experiencing is just an exaggeration of your normal bodily reactions to stress.
Do not fight the feelings or try to wish them away. The more you are willing to face them, the less intense they will become.
Do not add to your panic by thinking about what "might" happen. If you find yourself asking "what if?" tell yourself "so what!".
Stay in the present. Notice what is really happening to you as opposed to what you think might happen.
Label your fear level from zero to ten and watch it go up and down. Notice that it does not stay at a very high level for more than a few seconds.
When you find yourself thinking about the fear, change your "what if" thinking. Focus on and carry out a simple and manageable task such as counting backward from 100 by 3's or snapping arubber band on your wrist.
Notice that when you stop adding frightening thoughts to your fear, it begins to fade.
When the fear comes, expect and accept it. Wait and give it time to pass without running away from it.
Be proud of yourself for your progress thus far, and think about how good you will feel when you succeed this time.

I would love to post my own advice here, but I am very new to the site and thus hesitant. I don't want to suggest my own coping methods in case they aren't as helpful to others as they are to myself. :shrug:

I really do wish you all the best with tomorrow, I hope all goes well and that you are able to cope with your anxieties and enjoy the occasion. It would be great to see an update from you later on as well.

All the best,
Cat :)

Lesley anne
29-08-12, 04:54
All the best, thinking of you!!

gem7
30-08-12, 17:18
thanks for replying all my day went ok the anxiety was still there tho the train was full was hard for me but i was playing with my phone alot going on twitter and looking back on old photos and showing my sister who was by me i even went in a few shops the fear was still there but i was out so i was on a roll so why not i had a good time even tho i could feel my anxiety there some days its worse then others i.m glad i did it but today i.m on a downer and my anxiety has hit me really hard today only thing tho what went wrong yesterday my other brother knocked a drink on me lucky i just laughed it off but i felt like running to the toilet and just hideing for abit but i didnt even tho i over came this every day is a struggle i just cant go out every day one step at a time hoplefully one day i will become the girl i used to be :)

johnielov
31-08-12, 07:58
I'm feel so sorry for you, I think your brother can help you to cope up but if not he will understand your situation if he really love you:) God bless.

CuriousCat
31-08-12, 16:13
I'm really glad to hear that you decided to go and you handled it so well, I bet the sense of achievement is really rewarding? By distracting yourself on the train, you handled the anxiety of being in public really well. You should be really proud of yourself and remember this experience for future events :) well done.

gem7
31-08-12, 16:44
my brothers dont really understand only person what does is my sister and i.m proud i did it cos as last time i went on a train in june i didnt handle it well i had to close my eyes till it was my stop but this time i managed to cope thank god i.m very proud of myself i did it plus i didnt want to let my brother down either but i.m glad i went in the end :)