PDA

View Full Version : Can anxiety cause Flu like symptoms?

hannah26
26-08-12, 20:38
Hello, So since about 10-11 o clock this morning, I feel absoloutely rubbish. My symptoms are sort of flu like, achy weak arms and legs, headache, feel sick, shaking, tingly all over, diarrhea, tired, hot and cold. I started to feel a bit better earlier but now feel awful again. The problem is I just dont know whether its panic attack or real, I cant differentiate ( sorry if thats the wrong spelling) between whats real and whats not. Most of the time I can but not when its like this and feeling so real, if you know what I mean.

So I just wondered if anxiety can make you feel like you have the flu? Any replies would be very much appreciated.
Thank you. x x

---------- Post added at 20:38 ---------- Previous post was at 19:26 ----------

Anyone have any advice or can relate? x x

eternally optimistic
26-08-12, 21:10
Hi Hannah

I am not speaking for everyone but, for me, I had terrible flu like symptoms.

Very heavy body, lack lustre, no energy, deadly unwell feeling all the time.

I had this for years before I went on meds - made an earlier post this evening to someone else regarding this matter.

It could be your body has just gone into anxious overload and you are knackered, to say the least, from it.

Hope you feel better soon

J

cattia
26-08-12, 21:39
Yes yes and yes. When I went through my first full on episode of anxiety in my early twenties I actually convinced myself that I had chronic fatigue syndrome because my primary symptoms were feeling like I had really bad flu all the time, and feeling totally exhausted to the point where I could hardly function. Luckily I had a perceptive doctor who spotted that I had depression and anxiety and when I was successfully treated for that, the fatigue and flu like symptoms finally went away.

kazy55
01-09-15, 17:53
I get these symptoms I think, when I am most anxious about a social situation coming up. I feel like this now and has been quite a while since it was so bad, my daughter is having a baby soon and it's the baby shower on Sunday, I can honestly say I Have not felt this bad in a while. These flue like symptoms come and go so much over the last few days, I call this "my attack" I start with aches in joints get a sore throat feel tired, get worried etc. it's awful and I don't have much energy, going to sleep helps but it's still there when I wake up. I have he a particular bad day crying and getting over emotional and touchy about everything. Can anyone help please.

---------- Post added at 16:53 ---------- Previous post was at 16:43 ----------

Yes yes and yes. When I went through my first full on episode of anxiety in my early twenties I actually convinced myself that I had chronic fatigue syndrome because my primary symptoms were feeling like I had really bad flu all the time, and feeling totally exhausted to the point where I could hardly function. Luckily I had a perceptive doctor who spotted that I had depression and anxiety and when I was successfully treated for that, the fatigue and flu like symptoms finally went away.

I have just posted these symptoms I get this now and again with other anxiety related stuff. Sometimes it goes and I don't have it bad, thus time it seems to gave stayed, I get like a tense head sore throat aches, it feels like it's attacks me from the outside, sound weird I know, but that's how I can explain it feel likes its I'm in a bubble and all this is going on around.

WhyAlwaysMe
01-09-15, 21:59
I see this is an old thread, but I think it is possible to get sinus/flu issues with anxiety. I went to watch a production of Guys and Dolls a while back. If you listen or read the lyrics of Adelaide's Lament that was written in the 50's, it explains it perfectly.

Munchlet
02-09-15, 18:05
I posted this exact same thing last week, I know this is an old thread but so glad to read others have the same thing. I have scratchy sore throat, headache, feeling hot etc then I get up ok for a few hours and it starts again. Having said that I go through periods of feeling fine for weeks. I hate to say it's normally when I'm exercising and eating properly so I guess that in itself proves it's related to stress/bad habits.:shrug:

ealtvater
24-09-15, 00:17
I found this site by consulting Dr. Google (never a great idea for an anxious person) and had to sign up ;)

I've had anxiety for the last 10 years or so and it only seems that recently that this sort of thing has been happening to me. The frequency seems to change but it's been as often as every two weeks or so for me here lately. It always starts the same way...I start to feel really anxious like something is off. By the next day, I can only describe it as feeling sick...like a bad cold or the start of the flu. I don't really seem to have external cold symptoms other than being told I "look sick" in my eyes. I feel run down, extremely tired, internally shaky like I have a fever even though I don't, aches/pains especially in my wrists and ankles, headache, mental fog, dry eyes...the whole deal. It legit feels like I'm sick. It usually lasts for me like 3-4 days like a cold would, so I can't help but wonder "am I really just sick or is this caused by anxiety?" This sort of thing seems to happen more in recent years even though my anxiety has gotten significantly better. The inner hypochondriac in me assumes I'm dying of cancer and I absolutely hate going to the doctors so I avoid it. When my anxiety first started I had a really bad experience with my doctor and being dismissed for feeling the way I do. I get really bad white coat hypertension too so getting my blood pressure taken is always a treat. Times I have gone during this "illness" they do bloodwork and everything always comes back fine. Once again my inner hypochondriac assumes they missed the one blood test that would pinpoint what's wrong with me. Lol. I have noticed this whole deal is more likely to happen after I drink over the weekend, but not always. When I feel sick it seems to be "physically deeper" than just the anxiety I usually experience if that makes any sense.

Long story short I sympathize with you all because I know how terrible it is to feel sick all the time.