PDA

View Full Version : Telephone assessment and hoping to be referred for CBT

Sparkle1984
26-08-12, 22:05
I have an appointment for a telephone assessment with the local branch of the NHS Wellbeing service in a couple of weeks. What should I say in order to have the best chance of being referred for CBT? If you had one of these telephone assessments, what was it like and what should I expect? I definitely think CBT would be helpful for me as I'd like to be able to manage my thoughts better.

eternally optimistic
27-08-12, 09:17
Hi Sparkle

Just be honest, completely, with how you feel - dont play down anything you might not like to discuss.

Dont know your situation but, if given the chance, explain how you are effected daily.

I had a telephone assessment some while ago via NHS and, it was very basic questions they asked me. The person I spoke with was very nice and understanding.

Again, given the opportunity, use your own quote above "I definitely think CBT would be helpful for me as I'd like to be able to manage my thoughts better".

I cant advise you better than that but, wish you well and hope you get a response that is good. Hopefully, they might advise you on the same telephone call if you are applicable for CBT.

Let us know how you got on - good luck.

J

Sparkle1984
27-08-12, 14:54
Thanks for that advice Jay. I'll have to see how it goes, and I'll let you know how I get on.

kittikat
28-08-12, 00:49
Is this initial referral to the NHS wellbeing from your GP? If not, your GP should be able to refer you directly for CBT.

I think telephone assessments are standard practice in the first instance, this gives them an opportunity to assess what type of therapy/therapist would best suit your needs.

Don't worry and just say it how it is. I found my 'phone assessor very helpful and understanding. I started CBT shortly after and my therapist is brilliant. I have been going to her every week now since April and my sessions have been extended to suit my changing and challenging needs.

Best of luck, I'm sure you will get the help you need. Kitti :)

Sparkle1984
28-08-12, 20:03
Thanks Kitti. Yes, I was referred by my GP and I received the letter last week asking me to book a telephone assessment.

Annie0904
28-08-12, 20:23
I have been asked to do the same. My telephone assessment is next Tuesday

Richard1960
11-09-12, 16:58
Hi.

I have started the Dr Chris Willaims CBT course through MIND just been through the first module and it challenges to to alter the way you think,through the use of a wheel diagram with your own print off to write a couple of challenging situtions down and to write down how you feel about them.

It also looks as though you could do the course on your own,you just have to pay for the booklets which i got free.

I have support my contact rings me up once a week to see how i am getting on.:)

The first module is very good.

Richard.

merlotsmum
11-09-12, 17:11
Hi Richard1960

Did you have to pay for the Dr Chris Willaims CBT course through MIND? I approached MIND back in June 2012, literally walked into their office in a heck of a state in heightened anxiety, sobbing and shaking.

I was given a form to complete and told to contact the NHS counselling service, not even offered a seat or a cup of tea to calm down - I was at the end of my tether so not overly impressed by the support of my local MIND :(

Kind regards
MM

Richard1960
11-09-12, 21:26
Hi Richard1960

Did you have to pay for the Dr Chris Willaims CBT course through MIND? I approached MIND back in June 2012, literally walked into their office in a heck of a state in heightened anxiety, sobbing and shaking.

I was given a form to complete and told to contact the NHS counselling service, not even offered a seat or a cup of tea to calm down - I was at the end of my tether so not overly impressed by the support of my local MIND :(

Kind regards
MM

Hi merlotsmum.

I got reffered via my GP my local NHS funds it but you can wait weeks/months i waited 4 months before they contacted me after filling the form out.

I think although i was not in the same state as you that they did not come through as very empathetic more business like i was in my local MIND office for an hour and was not offerd a coffee/tea the chat was very business like.

Whereas my local ADAS (alcohol drugs advisery serivce ) which i am undergoing counselling for alcohol problems always offer a drink of coffee/tea they say help yourself,and my counsellor there is very empathetic and understanding with helpful advice.

Must admit if i worked for mind i would certainly be much more empathetic,so i guess my expierience mirrors yours,although my contact does ring me up once a week to see how the course is going.:)

Richard.