PDA

View Full Version : CBT versus medication

su54321
26-07-06, 21:03
Hi everyone,

I was prescribed citalopram on Monday for depression but after 2 days I stopped because I thought about it - the doctor hadn't really discussed options with me and I realised that I really didn't want to go on anti-depressants until it was the last resort. Don't like the idea of chemicals messing with my nerves in the brain!

I've heard good things about Cognitive behavioural Therapy, I wondered if there was anyone here who has been on both anti-depressants and had some kind of therapy, either counselling or CBT - which did you find more effective in helping you cope in the short and long term?

I'd to hear other people's experiences who have had no medication, how did you cope?

Thanks very much, sorry if i'm asking too many questions!
Su xx

scoobygirl2005
26-07-06, 21:11
Hi.

I personally think that cbt is a little more helpful, because I went on meds and they didn't help me at all. But it depends on the person really, medication and cbt is different for everyone. I think thats a good idea about you asking your doctor about other options.

Scooby2005
x x

nomorepanic
26-07-06, 22:30
Meds mask the symptoms so you start to feel better.

CBT helps you address the issues and how to fix them.

You may need both at any one time.

9 years ago I was on Prozac and getting CBT. 8 years ago I gave up meds and now am getting CBT for my specific driving issues.

The rest of the time I did it med free - learning how to cope, learning about breathing, meditation, diet, exercise etc.

It can be done

Nicola

chedda
27-07-06, 13:57
Hia Su,
When i had my first bout of panic attacks several years ago i was put on medication for them,at the time i had 2 small children and would of taken anything to feel better than i was doing.Unfortunately it only masked the underlying thoughts and the way i dealt with them and when i stopped they returned.Several years later they returned again this time with agoraphobia aswell but i dont want to go on medication this time as i did try some that made me feel 100 times worse than i did allready.I am waiting for CBT therapy and coping without meds,i know it is a longer route to feeling better but i feel its the right way to learn to cope with it through therapy.If you need meds and therapy then have whatever you need to get through it as long as its what you want and not just what the doc wants :D.Prescritions are cheaper than therapy

axel
08-08-06, 20:18
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hi everyone,

I was prescribed citalopram on Monday for depression but after 2 days I stopped because I thought about it - the doctor hadn't really discussed options with me and I realised that I really didn't want to go on anti-depressants until it was the last resort. Don't like the idea of chemicals messing with my nerves in the brain!

I've heard good things about Cognitive behavioural Therapy, I wondered if there was anyone here who has been on both anti-depressants and had some kind of therapy, either counselling or CBT - which did you find more effective in helping you cope in the short and long term?

I'd to hear other people's experiences who have had no medication, how did you cope?

Thanks very much, sorry if i'm asking too many questions!
Su xx

<div align="right">Originally posted by su54321 - 26 July 2006 : 22:03:36</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Hi Su, I recently finished a cbt group and it seems like I may have finally found my silver bullet but it has taken and continues to take a lot of effort.
I am still doing my tea form exercises almost daily and they seem to be getting more ingrained in my brain. I think short term meds are more effective and often necessary but if you don't find some technique to help yourself long term meds fade in their usefulness and become more of a crutch. We used two good and short cbt books in my group, Been there, done that? DO THIS! By Sam Obitz (www.tao3.com) and Mastery of your Anxiety and Panic-Third Edition by Michelle Craske and David Barlow (www.amazon.com). The first one is gives you a glimpse of the whole cbt process from the author's (who suffered anxiety, panic and depression) perspective. The second one focusses on panic disorder but the cbt exercises for anxiety overlap each other so both are very helpful in building your confidence and self-esteem. Good luck.

Nel
09-08-06, 12:32
Hi All,

Well I’ve tried the meds, citalopram and effexor (effexor I only took once because it made me panic worse than I've ever done). I am avoiding meds now and going for CBT, I have read many positive studies and stories from fellow anxiety sufferers - many of whom had seen umpteen psychiatrists with little success.
I am having to go private, the waiting list for CBT is a year and a half long - it’s a disgrace to be fair that I am having to pay for the treatment I desperately need (well, my parents are having to pay).
I could only find two accredited therapists in my area and am seeing both next week and will decide which one of them I feel most comfortable with. I found their details on the BABCP website:
http://www.babcp.org.uk/

Will let everyone know how I get on.

Nel xxx

axel
15-08-06, 19:58
Nel good for you for not waiting and taking the bull by the horns as they say. I think you will have great success if you work at the exercises with cbt. It has been great for me thus far. I had plenty of different pshes before I discovered cbt and Obitz talked in his book about all the years he struggled on meds and in and out of therapy before cbt cured him. I think you are on the right path now based on my experience. Good luck and come back and update us on your progress.

juju
15-08-06, 20:28
i am on citalopram, i find they have cleared my head, made me feel a bit happier thus enabling me to feel more positive which helps me practise and practise my cbt- which i would say that pos thinking is the best valium you can take, and the feeling of achievement that is within yourself. there is no tablet that can substitute this feeling.
its up to the individual of course though[^]
take care
juju

we are all stronger people after having this

axel
30-08-06, 22:15
juju I am glad you have found a combination that works well for you :)