PDA

View Full Version : Blood clot on lung

mum-of-4
27-08-12, 19:38
Hi there

I wonder if someone can help me? I've just got back from holiday and whilst there I kept feeling very light headed and like I was going to pass out. I also keep getting heart palpatations and feel like I am out of breath (not shortness of breath but I am conscious of my breathing and it doesn't feel right).

I have been under alot of stress recently not helped by the fact that my mother in law passed away last week.:weep:

Anyway for the past few days I've developed a cough and it hurts at the top of my chest/base of my neck.

I am really really worried that I may have a blood clot on my lung. I haven't googled the symptoms yet (trying my hardest not too) but I seem to remember reading somewhere that a cough could be a sign along with shortness of breath. It's quite a dry cough (not coughing up anything). I haven't got a sharp pain when I breath in - just the heavy feeling at the base of my neck.

Please could someone help me and perhaps put my mind at rest?

Sorry to ramble.

Many thanks!

Louise36
27-08-12, 19:52
I'm sure it's not a clot. Why are you thinking of that? Could it be anxiety? That causes strange breathing symptoms as well as hundred of other symptoms. Try to relax your breathing.

---------- Post added at 19:52 ---------- Previous post was at 19:49 ----------

Also I have heavy feeling at base of neck/top of chest and sometimes feels like I have aches in my lungs when I breathe to full capacity, I have thought about horrible things, but it can also all be put down to anxiety - globus etc. Have a look at the pages dedicated to globus on here.

Ventussi
27-08-12, 19:53
Still looks to me like anxiety but I'd go to GP to sort things out. But hey, the probability of blood clot is very, very low. I'd rather check the blood for any deficiencies, full morphology, maybe ecg for these heart palpitations - they can be related to lightheadedness. Chest pains and dry cough are also symptoms of anxiety. You're not going to die, don't worry :)

messianictalmud
27-08-12, 23:34
Hi mum of 4

I have been on Warfarin many years now due to a blood clotting disorder.

How are your calves ? are they swollen, redish and feel hot to touch ?

As you have not mentioned them I suspect they are fine.
That being the case is good as blood clots in the lungs usually are the result of a dvt in the leg that's broken away and traveled in the blood to the lung.

The most usual blood test is an INR (International Normalized Ratio)