PDA

View Full Version : Blood Pressure Checking

kivyt73
28-08-12, 21:43
Hi Everyone,
I am an obsessive bp checker as many of you probably know and I recently decided to stop checking after being told by everyone in my life to stop , including my gp and therapist. I haven't checked now for 61 days and I have been so less stressed. The thing is now the thoughts are starting again and they are telling me that I am being neglectful of my health because I am not checking. By the way, I don't have high blood pressure, my average for the year is 110/75 and that is with anxiety readings factored in. My bp at my last doc appt. was 124/82 so my doctor is not concerned. I stopped checking because I was so obsessed, constantly checking and planning to check and consulting my numbers before I did anything. All that stress was just creating a vicious cycle and my numbers would go up and the I would check and check until they came back down which they always do. I know it is best to stop but should I check at all? My plan is to check a week or two before my next doc appt. in March but wow that would be a long time without checking. Before these 61 days the longest I had gone without checking was 21 days or so for the past three years.

What do you guys think?

ewood79
28-08-12, 22:02
I say well done and keep up the good work! Tell those anxious thoughts to bugger off! Your BP is perfect by the way!

kivyt73
29-08-12, 00:09
Thanks ewood,
I am going to keep going, one day at a time as long as I can. I have felt so much better since I stopped but the thoughts still come that tell me I need to check.....I hate this obsession.

Thanks,
Ivy:)