PDA

View Full Version : Newbie :)

little scientist
29-08-12, 09:32
Hi, just thought I'd introduce myself and say helloooo etc :)

Brief description about me:
I'm a 27 year old scientist from the East Midlands, who has suffered from anxiety and depression since I was about 19 years old. I think the initial trigger was the oral contraceptive, which I was then switched onto a milder one and things got a lot better (or so I thought) - I think the effects were to subtle that for years, I didn't realise what was causing my depression. I was initially prescribed fluoxetine. I later had this changed to citalopram as this dealt with my anxiety much better.

about 20 months ago, after a relationship breakdown, under GP guidance I stopped my contraception and opted for an alternative method. after about 6 months, I began to feel AMAZING not having the hormones in my system! and my overall day to day stability became...well much more stable to put it simply! I also had a new man in my life who is wonderful :) . In approx April of this year, I decided the time was right to try again to come off my citalopram. This time round, the anxiety hasn't been half as bad as previous attempts to come off when I was on the pill, but I know, I am still not right. Over the last 3 months or so, I have had increasing patches of being down in the dumps, and this month it has to a point where I just feel me and my body can't deal with it on its own. I have no desire for things, and absolutely no desire to eat so this morning I rang and made an appt with my GP, probably to resume citalopram. I figure, if a low dose of that returns me to the person I used to be, that's got to be good :)

So, to sumamrise, I have been on SSRIs (fluoxetine, then citalopram) on and off for 8 years or so, with little success while off them. I have had a couple of CBT interventions, but these have had little success, as usually I have been sat on a waiting list while I have been bad, and when I actually get seen, I am fine!

Thanks for reading :)

nomorepanic
29-08-12, 09:49
Hi little scientist

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

venusbluejeans
29-08-12, 10:05
Hiya and welcome to NMP:welcome:

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes: