PDA

View Full Version : Morning vs evening

Fay_elizabeth
29-08-12, 19:44
Hi guys,

Hope you are all well :hugs:

So I am on week 6 of citalopram, my second week on 20mg. I take my meds in the morning before breakfast. I've noticed I have been insanely tired in the morning, like so tired I sleep right through my alartm or I press snooze 20 times before waking up properly, I am not just being lazy, its literally impossible to wake myself up! I have been late to work almost everyday since I upped my dose. I go to bed at a good time (usually 10-11pm) and I am supposed to get up for work at 7.30am but its just not happening.

I've also noticed that I get extremely sleepy and yawny at around 2pm, this makes concentrating at work nearly impossible.

I am considering switching to taking my meds at night but I wondered if anyone else shared my tiredness and had success after switching to night time?

Any experiences / suggests / advice welcome!

brokenmp3
29-08-12, 20:15
I've only started on them, started out taking them in the morning but after about 4 to 5 hours felt dozey, after a few days on them it subsided a bit but still had a feeling of can't be arsed. On week 2 now and take them a couple of hours before bed instead and sleep through it. They've never affected my sleeping though, I wish they did!

Sparkle1984
30-08-12, 08:55
I've always taken mine in the evening straight after tea and I don't get tired in the daytime. I feel sleepier at night though, which is a good thing for me. So I think switching to the evening could be better for you.

Fay_elizabeth
30-08-12, 11:24
I'm going to try taking them in the evening I think. I haven't yet taken my dose this morning so I guess I'll just stick it out and take them later on after my tea. Good job I have the day off work today! Yesterday I nearly fell asleep on my computer.

Thanks for all the help!

andreas
30-08-12, 13:22
I found Citalopram messed with my energy levels to start with but it should stabilse over time. Taking in the evening might help and with food should help too. I also found liberal consumption of tea/coffee in the day helped immeasurably!

venusbluejeans
30-08-12, 13:36
I found Citalopram messed with my energy levels to start with but it should stabilse over time. Taking in the evening might help and with food should help too. I also found liberal consumption of tea/coffee in the day helped immeasurably!

tea and coffee is not the best to drink while suffering from anx...... the caffeine will make your anx worse and also it dehydrates you which will also may make your anx worse....... so while it will help with the tiredness it will more than likely hinder the anxiety which is why you are taking the meds in the first place....

so in theory you are trying to 'cure' a side effect with something that would make the original cause worse

Fay_elizabeth....I have always taken mine in the evening, not sure why to be honest, I think it is just because I had a late drs app when i was prescribed them and took it when I cam home and just continued.

Fay_elizabeth
30-08-12, 19:11
Yeah I tend to avoid drinking a lot of tea or coffee, even though I love it I find it tends to make my anxiety and the teeth grinding SA of cit a lot worse.

Tonights my first night of taking my cit in the evening, hopefully I'll be able to get up for my 7.30 alarm!

Fay_elizabeth
01-09-12, 11:58
Just thought I should update you all, I feel much better today! I got up at 8.30 (On a saturday!) and I don't feel tired at all! It seems that taking my cit in the evening really works for me. Thanks for all the advice!

Laura1989
01-09-12, 13:12
hi, im thinking about taking it in the evening instead...i crash at about 3pm, (depending on how early in the morning i take it)
i have been on summer holidays from work up to now so i have been able to take it easy and have a nap if i want, and up to now i haven't been taking my cit at exactly the same time every morning.
As of Monday, when the new term starts, i will be back in my routine and taking my tablet at the same time every morning. Im estimating i will crash at about 1.30/2pm, judging by my average now.

Do you think switching to the evening would be better? and is it easy to do, because i dont want to struggle again, when my side effects have only just started to ease.

Apologies if ive rambled a little bit! lol

Sparkle1984
01-09-12, 14:16
Just thought I should update you all, I feel much better today! I got up at 8.30 (On a saturday!) and I don't feel tired at all! It seems that taking my cit in the evening really works for me. Thanks for all the advice!

That's good, I'm glad it worked out well for you. :)

holly1
01-09-12, 14:47
Hi I also have been taking my Cit in the mornings for 3 months and I struggle with getting up in the morning and also with my energy levels in the day.
So yesterday I decided to switch to evenings and I felt much more alert when I woke up this morning so I am hoping that evenings is going to suit me better. :)

Laura1989
01-09-12, 15:31
did you spend a day then without taking your tablet and then just took it later?

Fay_elizabeth
01-09-12, 17:54
Laura, I would perhaps try taking them in the evening.

I was worried about the transition but to be honest I just felt a little bit wired on the day where I didn't take my cit in the morning, as soon as I took my tablet (about 8pm) I felt all sleepy and comfortable and I slept really well and woke up with much more ease.

Good luck, let us know if you give it a try!

holly1
01-09-12, 20:36
Laura, I managed to go the day without one until about 5pm yesterday and today I went until 7pm. Would like to get to about 8-9pm so that I get the drowsiness at bedtime.
I thought I would do it gradually in case I felt weird but yesterday was fine. I just tried to distract myself by keeping busy and I didn't feel any physical side effects (just a bit of anxiety about changing the routine....but that's why I'm on them in the first place I suppose!)
I think it already feels better for me and it seems to be working for Fay_Elizabeth too :)

Laura1989
01-09-12, 20:45
i might try that tomorrow, and not take it until early evening and how i go...will deffo let you know if i do it and how it goes! thanks for all the advice guys :-D