PDA

View Full Version : The shame of having a panic attack

Anxious_gal
30-08-12, 01:16
For all the good people that helped during a panic attack, it's the times I felt deeply ashamed and humiliated that sticks out more.

Looking at me like I'm crazy,
Getting annoyed and angry with me,
Shouting at me,
Telling me to calm down,
Being blamed for getting myself into a state,
Being totally unsympathetic...

Any time I panic I think I must not freak out and ask for assistance or let anyone see me shaking and panicking.
Oh and being labeled as a crazy person, as if I am suddenly not human anymore.

It shouldn't be that way, but it is. It's like I have to protect myself from people's bad reactions to me having a panic attack.

Does any one get what I'm saying? Or can you relate?

Lesley anne
30-08-12, 01:54
Yes, I can relate, but I'm now getting of an opinion that I will only be around, as best as possible, supportive people who are mature enough to know when someone is in crisis. You can't help how you feel and I know what it's like to let self control slip through your fingers. I'm trying some new coping strategies, so once I know more and if they work I can share with you. Take care of yourself!!!

GreyClouds
30-08-12, 07:34
I feel you my friend, I feel guilty I let my mind control me.
When the panic attack is over and my body is returning back to normal I feel relieved yet stupid I had let it go that far, let people see me in that venerable state.

I feel this way also because most of the people around me have never suffered, I crazy for acting the way one does when having a panic attack.

Much love, keep a clear and happy mind. <3