PDA

View Full Version : Too scared to take meds

got2keepmovin
30-08-12, 19:08
sorry if im in the wrong forum, i dont know quite how to post a thread anywhere on here :blush:

My GP has prescibed sertraline 50mg for my anxiety and panic attacks a week ago and I was supposed to re visit doc for a check to see how I was coping with this medication.

Thing is...Ive not taken any as Ive been too anxious and panicky about the side effects:blush:

I know, this sounds strange, but I have a deep distrust in doctors and in my mind I feel these pills may do me more harm than good. I also suffer from health anxiety which doesnt help.

I have experienced 5 months of panic attacks everyday, which has been impacting on my quality of life.

I would not say Im depressed. Just very very frightened and stressed out.

Does anyone have any advice please?

Pipkin
30-08-12, 20:33
Hi there,

Do you want some advice about sertraline or your general anxiety? I don't think you'll get a great response in the 'introduce yourself' forum as these are usually used for hellos.

If you let me know, I'll move your thread to a more suitable forum. A more relevant title should also help. If you suggest one, I'll change that for you too.

Pip

BobbyDog
30-08-12, 21:44
Think about the medication and how it may make you feel when you first start taking it?

How could the side effects be any worse that how you feel right now!!

I would give it a go, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Pipkin
31-08-12, 00:01
Hi there,

I've moved and renamed this for you, as requested.

In response to your question, I think only you know the answer. How bad are your symptoms at the moment and is it worth giving meds a try to see if you can get some relief? Would it cause you far more anxiety to take them? You may feel there are better solutions such as therapy or you might choose to take a chance and give meds a shot. The answer might be both. Or neither.

I'm sure some other people will give you some good advice but I'd suggest you consider some of the questions I've asked and think about going back to your GP to discuss it a bit more.

Take care and good luck

Pip

PanicPod
01-09-12, 00:45
I have had a similar problem of not wanting to take mess because of the side effects that MAY be caused by them. However, my GP was very good when I discussed this problem with him and he put it into perspective by asking me if I drank water. Of course I do was my response. He then went on to ask me to list how many ways water can harm or be bad for you. I listed quite a few and he added a couple more. But he said, you still drink water, bathe in it etc. When it was put like that it made me more reassured that the meds would help me and, yes, they did.
Discuss your concerns with your pharmacist or your doctor who I am sure will be able to reassure you and give the meds a try.

marcusmaximus
01-09-12, 01:17
Hi I'm on day 5 of CIT and I will admit my condition is worse but I'm told by fokes on here that will happen then you body will start to take the meds and I will improve so I'm riding the storm right now. I would suggest even in the state I'm in take the plunge, I trust the guys on here they have all told me to hang in there.

AuntieMoosie
01-09-12, 01:18
Please don't be frightened hun :)
I'm gradually going on Sertraline and, at the same time, coming off Citalopram.

I was also frightened of the side effects, especially the anxiety going up.

What I did was to start off at just 25mgs...you have to carefully half the tablet, I stayed on 25mgs for a week then I went up to 50mgs. I am now on my first week of 100mgs and doing ok :)

The only thing I noticed was a little hike in my anxiety level for a few days when I first started the 25mgs. When I went up to 50mgs then 100mgs I can honestly say that I noticed no difference.

I am having a little trouble sleeping at the moment but I'm sure this will settle as my body gets used to it.

Remember hun, the little side effects that you may get, because not everybody gets them, will only last for a few days as your body gets used to it. I think when you balance it all up, it's well worth it for the benefits you will gain, it's helping me enormously with my anxiety now and I started my treatment in June.

Perhaps speak to you doctor again and ask if it's possible for you to start at 25mgs for a week then go up to the 50mgs and ask if you could possibly have a little something to help you if you do get some side effects.

I know it is frightening when starting new medication hun, but just hang in there because the benefits will soon outweigh the first few days.

Maybe start a little diary on here and let us know how you're feeling each day as you go along. We'll all be here to support you hun.
:) :hugs:

Richard1960
01-09-12, 01:21
Please ask yourself the question,which is worse.
1) The illness or
2) your fear of any side effects.

If it helps you i have been on and off anti depressants for a few years,and am currently on 40mg a day of Citalopram for depression/and panick attacks ,for me the side effects are worth it for what it does for me.

For a while after you start taking them any of this type of medication will have differing side effects on different people,i personally would not be frightened of the meds when they settle down they work fine.

All you can do is try them and see if they work for you.:)

Richard.