PDA

View Full Version : Lymph node problems (again)

chloevictoria
31-08-12, 12:29
I have 3 major obsessions, these being eating, self examining and breathing.
My anxiety always always seems to only focus on one, it's never a few at a time. At the moment, it's the self examining.

It's driving me up the wall, I do it without realising. For a month or so I had an obsession with eating and I wanted to put something else in my mind, so it automatically chose this one. I am absolutely terrified of the c word, and after not prodding my lymph nodes for a good few months I started again, and got up a lymph node map on google. I felt in these places and I can feel at least one lymph node in each place. They are all moveable, apart from the ones which actually turned out to be bone (lol). I'm 16, 5 ft 5 and 7 stone 6, so i'm a bit on the skinny side. Is it normal for skinny people to be able to feel their lymph nodes?
Also I've been obsessing over other symptoms such as night sweats and fevers, and it's almost like I convince myself I've got them. I never get colds or anything, perhaps one every year. I suffer from hayfever as well which feels like it mimics colds/flus.

I can feel my lymph nodes in:
-my jaw
-in front of my ear
- my groin
-a very tiny one in my armpit (doctor said she couldnt feel it)
-along my neck (doctor said there was nothing wrong and you'd be able to feel it when your neck was straight and not tilted)

I have recently had a thing about some being below my collarbone as well, but as these are the same size on each side, I presume they are part of my sternum.

All of these lymph nodes are no bigger than 1.5cm and are mobile.. but some are quite hard. They are not visible when I look in the mirror.

Also, I can't feel them when I run my hands over them, I have to press into them to actually feel a bump.

My question:
-is it normal for skinny people to be able to feel them?

Please reply asap, I'm really scared :(

Kelxx
31-08-12, 18:31
I have a friend who has just been diagnosed with hodgkins cancer, and he could actually see his lymph nodes sticking out. They were VERY noticable.

I can feel mine, in lots of places and i am also quite skinny and 16, do not worry! The odds are very small. Doctors see this sort of cancer all the time, they would know if you had it :)

chloevictoria
01-09-12, 11:54
I'm sorry about your friend, that's awful :( thanks for your reassurance, a few of mine have been the same size for about a year and a half now and haven't changed at all. I only noticed the one in front of my ear because I was looking for it, and I've prodded it so much I think it's inflamed slightly :( just trying to stop prodding them but it's so difficult :(

chloevictoria
03-09-12, 10:29
Would you be able to see them in the mirror and feel them when your neck is straight? Anyone?