PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram to Sertraline

Sharon66
31-08-12, 17:35
Hello

I have been on Citalopram 20 mg for 6 weeks with little effect on my mood and feelings (I have felt better over the last couple of days once Ive crawled out of bed). Today I visited the GP who has now prescribed Sertraline 50 mg would just like advice on the switch as Ive not had meds before.
Many thanks
Sharon

TJSMITH
31-08-12, 18:48
Hi there I changed from cit to sertraline ten weeks ago. I dropped from 30 to 20 for two weeks, then 20 to 10 and then started the 50mg with the 10mg for month but you can just swop ssri which maybe quicker and easier than what I done x

Sharon66
31-08-12, 20:27
Thank you for the advice do they work better for you?? and if so how long was it before you noticed I just want to get back to normal but recognise 7 weeks isn't long. I followed my GPS advice with the swap but not 100% sure just have to put my faith in him x

TJSMITH
31-08-12, 20:39
I'm week 10 been on 100mg last 5 weeks, I'm a lot better than was on cit but still work to do ie stop thinking about if so much that brings me down. KeepIng busy helps and you gave to push yourself.
All new to me as out of the blue this happened to be beginning of year

RockShox
31-08-12, 21:28
Hi. I done exactly the same, from 20mg Cit to 50mg Sertraline. No side effects with Cit, but it just didn't work. Evil side effects for first 2-3 weeks on the Sertraline. I'm talkin pure MELANCHOLY!!! And after about 6 weeks I'm starting to feel the benefits: No depression and less anxiety, I'm starting to whistle on my way to the shower in the morning so things are looking good and I'm starting to feel positive about the future instead off just GLOOM!. Good luck to you, and no matter how bad it gets, just hang in there...

TJSMITH
31-08-12, 21:45
Rockshox can I ask if you have the thoughts or rather analysing ?

Sharon66
01-09-12, 10:42
Thank you for the reply will take my first one tomorrow. I just want all this to go away I too just went into total melt down 7 weeks ago but on reflection I think its been coming for a while. This is my first time taking meds or visiting the GP and I have been really reluctant and hard on myself. I had an hysterectomy 2 weeks ago so that's not helped as Ive a lot of time to sit and think.
Would love to whistle going to the shower I have too drag myself there and now spending too much time on my bedroom lol. x

Sharon66
02-09-12, 11:00
Hello

Following my previous post I had a one day break from Citalopram and have now took my first Sertraline med this morning. Im wondering if Ive done the right thing?? Im really struggling coming to terms with taking the meds my options were just to stop taking the meds and see how I am or give the new ones 4 weeks (done this). Sorry for waffling on but just need some advice for my own piece of mind.
Thanks
Sharon

TJSMITH
02-09-12, 11:18
Hi Sharon I found sertraline better than citalopram although citalopram lifted the depression I felt it was not me almost false high.
I really didn't want to go down med route and first time this year when unbelievably my life was great i think the past caught up with me ( so I'm told).
Been on sertraline 10 weeks now and function normal, still a way to go as keep thinking about how I'm feeling but def getting there.
Good luck x

Sharon66
02-09-12, 20:16
Hi TJSMITH

Thanks for your reply I am being optimistic like you the past couple of years have caught up with me. Please keep in touch Sharon x

merlotsmum
03-09-12, 11:18
Thank you for the reply will take my first one tomorrow. I just want all this to go away I too just went into total melt down 7 weeks ago but on reflection I think its been coming for a while. This is my first time taking meds or visiting the GP and I have been really reluctant and hard on myself. I had an hysterectomy 2 weeks ago so that's not helped as Ive a lot of time to sit and think.
Would love to whistle going to the shower I have too drag myself there and now spending too much time on my bedroom lol. x

Hi Sharon

I too started towards a meltdown after a hysterectomy, happened about 8 weeks after the op but did not recognise it as depression/anxiety as everyone kept saying you are just tired after your operation! Needless to say it was 3 weeks ago I had a full breakdown (20 weeks after my operation) and the crisis team where called in to sort me out. I am on week 3 of 50mg Sertraline which has taken a little of the edge off but needs increasing which I will get this Friday from the Docs to 100mg. I am still feeling very low :weep:

I wish I had recognised the symptoms earlier but did not. It is good that you are getting help. The sitting and thinking is the killer after the op as I was pretty much on my own during the day while OH was working. I felt isolated. I did get support from the UK Hysterectomy Association forum.

Walking was my best friend, you won't feel like you can go far for a while yet but try to keep getting up and down the house every hour. When your strength increases try walking to top of garden.

Inbox me if I can help any more.

Take care

MM x