PDA

View Full Version : citalopram and antibiotics etc

plotlost
01-09-12, 21:58
is it safe to take antibiotics and pain killers with citalopram?

I assume it must be but I havent taken my Citalopram today because of starting the AB and ibruprofen

Laura1989
01-09-12, 22:04
ive just been told ibruprofen is a big no-no! not sure about any others though

Sparkle1984
01-09-12, 22:10
Aspirin isn't safe either, but paracetamol is. :)

little scientist
01-09-12, 23:09
Hmmm never heard the ibuprofen or asparin thing, is there a medical reason for this?

plotlost
01-09-12, 23:10
thanks Laura and sparkle, any idea why ibruprofen isnt safe? I had one earlier and feel ok?

What about codiene phosphate?

Thanks in advance

Laura1989
01-09-12, 23:29
not sure, it was mentioned in another thread somewhere. she said that her cos couldnt believe there was no warning about it on any of the information. im sure with one you'll be ok, but i would double check

swgrl09
01-09-12, 23:31
I think it's unsafe to use excessively because both thin the blood so you don't want to use a lot of ibuprofin when on it ... but i think once in a while you will be fine ... double check with a pharmacist though to be sure

Sparkle1984
01-09-12, 23:58
The aspirin thing is mentioned in the citalopram survival guide. I did some googling and it said it can cause internal bleeding if you take them together. :scared15:

Laura1989
03-09-12, 21:45
ok, i went to the pharmacy today for something else and decide to pick her brain on the painkillers and citalopram thing.

She said that paracetamol and codiene are safe to take, but ibruprofen, asprin and anything like that that thins the blood are unsafe and we shouldn't take them if on citalopram. (there was one beginning with n as well that i cant remember the name of)
she recommened that if we arent sure on anything, before we take it we double check with a pharmacist just to make sure we stay safe.

Hope that helps a little bit!

little scientist
03-09-12, 23:02
I checked my information leaflet and it said to consult a doctor regarding use of aspirin. Thankfully my painkiller of choice is paracetamol, followed by codeine!

Zingything
03-09-12, 23:22
That's very interesting as I am prescribed a small dose of aspirin daily AND cit. I'll bring this up with my GP I think.