PDA

View Full Version : Blood clumps in snot (TMI!) terrified!

GirlAfraid23
01-09-12, 22:08
Ok I'm really panicking now.
I blew my nose just now & there were clumps of blood in with the snot.
Not just streaks but little blobs. The snot is quite hard too.
I have pressure in my head and ear pain. With some aches and pains still from the flu like illness that came on yesterday.
I would go to the dcoctor but its sunday tomorrow so I won't be able to. I don't want to go to a&e either
Any ideas what this is?!
Anything to do with blood scares me so much.

Anxious_gal
02-09-12, 00:20
red or brown blood is quite normal, when you blew your nose you might have tore a blood vessel or it had torn on it's own earlier on due to you having a cold.
if you are having face pressure, ear pain, headaches you might have a bit of a sinus issue, the stuff in your nose can sometimes build up casing pressure and pain.
A good nose spray might help clean out the sinus, often they have a decongestant in them so be careful as you may not be able to use it with decongestant tablets like sudafed.
unless you have a fever 38 °C = 100.4 °F. you should be fine with over the counter medication.
you might get a sore throat too due to the sinus draining down the back of your throat.

Pipkin
02-09-12, 00:58
GA,

This happens all the time and is rarely anything to worry about. Some people have weaker blood vessels in their nose and also, having a bit of inflammation due to a cold or allergies can result in a bit of blood.

As always, we're not medical people and we can just share our experiences. If it carries on for a while, or gets much worse, go and see your GP. Otherwise, I would say that it's pretty normal.

Pip