PDA

View Full Version : I didn't get the shot, is this bad?!

clank
01-09-12, 23:20
So about a two-two and a half weeks ago I wen't to the doctors for my physical, and since I am 16 now, I need the hepatitus B booster shot thing. My anxiety level struck sky high and I wasn't able to get the shot, because of course of my fear of fainting, and knowing that people faint during shots. I still have to go to the doctors to get this shot one time or another, but what can happen if I don't get this shot? Will there be an increased risk of me getting that disease? I don't know what will happen and It is making me go crazy! I need help on what to do!

Elle-Kay
01-09-12, 23:24
I may be wrong about this, and I don't know how things differ in the USA policy-wise, but in the UK I don't think we are even offered this vaccine as standard procedure.

swgrl09
02-09-12, 00:41
i don't know the medical aspect of it, but i'm pretty sure it was required as a law for being in school when i got mine.

nomorepanic
02-09-12, 01:11
Well I have never had one

clank
02-09-12, 01:25
Well I have never had one

You have never had the hepatitus shot?

nomorepanic
02-09-12, 01:31
Nope - don't think we do in the UK

Pipkin
02-09-12, 01:37
Me neither - it's definitely not standard to get this vaccination in the UK.

Pip

Tufty
02-09-12, 10:00
Hi Clank,
I work in healthcare and regularly give Hep B vaccinations.
In the UK we vaccinate people with perceived higher risk, this includes healthcare workers, sex workers, men who have sex with men, IV drug users to name a few.
The initial course is 3 injections, which I presume you've had, followed by a booster after 1 year. The guidelines on Hep B vaccination changes frequently and different departments employ different protocols. The booster, as the name suggests, boosts your immunity but may not be necessary if your antibodies are high enough - in the UK we can check your HBsAb level that checks this, it's a blood test.

Hepatitis B is an infectious disease, transmitted by bodily fluids. The most common ways of transmission are unlicensed tattooing/body piercing, IV drug use and men who have anal sex with other men. Most people (80%+) who contract Hepatitis B develop natural antibodies to the infection and it doesn't harm them.

We advise people with low antibodies or those who are resistant to the immunisation with a higher risk that if they ever knowingly have an exchange of body fluids with someone who has known active Hepatitis B to seek medical advice as an antigen is available.

I work with high risk individuals and see approximately 2-3 new active hepatitis B cases a year - less than HIV and Hep C, it is uncommon in our area.

I hope this helps put your mind at ease
Sam

Pipkin
02-09-12, 10:15
Good answer Sam - that explains why I haven't been offered it.

Clank - I hope that puts your mind at ease a little.

Pip x

Magic
02-09-12, 14:44
Good post Sam:hugs:

spuder
02-09-12, 15:06
i had to have this as i worked as a dental nurse

clank
02-09-12, 15:23
Hi Clank,
I work in healthcare and regularly give Hep B vaccinations.
In the UK we vaccinate people with perceived higher risk, this includes healthcare workers, sex workers, men who have sex with men, IV drug users to name a few.
The initial course is 3 injections, which I presume you've had, followed by a booster after 1 year. The guidelines on Hep B vaccination changes frequently and different departments employ different protocols. The booster, as the name suggests, boosts your immunity but may not be necessary if your antibodies are high enough - in the UK we can check your HBsAb level that checks this, it's a blood test.

Hepatitis B is an infectious disease, transmitted by bodily fluids. The most common ways of transmission are unlicensed tattooing/body piercing, IV drug use and men who have anal sex with other men. Most people (80%+) who contract Hepatitis B develop natural antibodies to the infection and it doesn't harm them.

We advise people with low antibodies or those who are resistant to the immunisation with a higher risk that if they ever knowingly have an exchange of body fluids with someone who has known active Hepatitis B to seek medical advice as an antigen is available.

I work with high risk individuals and see approximately 2-3 new active hepatitis B cases a year - less than HIV and Hep C, it is uncommon in our area.

I hope this helps put your mind at ease
Sam
Yeah great answer it helped me a lot! :).