PDA

View Full Version : brand makes

carolf
02-09-12, 09:33
Morning, me again :). PLease can I aks some advice(this forum is a gods send), I was prescribed citalopram in the UK and they gave me a months supply and it is made my a company called Teva, however I have flown back out to work again overseas and I went to the pharmacy to buy some more and they only have cipram citalopram, the pharmasist told me that it was fine and no different but I trust you guys more than him as the medical advice over here is not so great.
Does the brand name make a difference?

k77be
02-09-12, 09:52
It shouldn't make a difference. I've had three different brands of citalopram in the UK (three different pharmacies). I believe its the same as pain killers etc -You can buy nurofen or the supermarkets own both do the same job. Its the active ingredient that is the important part. As long as what you get contains the same amount of citalopram as you were prescribed in the UK you should be fine.

Pipkin
02-09-12, 10:06
Hi Carol,

I agree with K, it should make no difference. I've been on various brands of my AD and I've never noticed any difference. Some people say they can tell but either they're very sensitive to changes in binding ingredients or it's psychological. The only time there may be a real difference is with drugs which have a slow release version and these mechanisms can be different. This isn't relevant to Cit though.

You'll be fine.

Pip x

carolf
02-09-12, 10:53
a brilliant, thank you, you have put my mind at rest

Sparkle1984
08-09-12, 13:30
I just started my second box of citalopram last night and even though I went to the same pharmacy as before, they gave me a different brand. The first time, they gave me the Bristol Laboratories brand, and I was hoping I'd get that again because it worked well, but this time they gave me the Generics UK brand. I know it's the same thing, but when I woke up this morning I felt a bit more jittery than normal. I hope it's just a coincidence and that I'm thinking about this too much!

wot4@live.co.uk
02-11-12, 10:59
hi

i have changed today from citalopram Bristol to citalopram Teva - was bit concerned - but in hind sight think that Bristol brand was not as effective as it had been - so had also increased from 20 - 25mg since 25th October this year. So will see how things go too.

Hope things ok with you too.

---------- Post added at 10:59 ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 ----------

Any advice on Teva brand of Citalopram welcome please

little scientist
02-11-12, 12:49
I think I have had the teva brand before, personally found no difference to any other brand

nippy70
02-11-12, 13:59
Just gone back on to tevra ( think thats right name) was on generics from potter bar,, they made me so ill with side effects ,, so last night i took a tevra pill ,, my vision aint as bad as it has been. Woke up alot during the night ,,, something i thought had passed ,,, so it shows they all make a difference to you .. even my doc said the fillers and the coatings can effect the way the cit is absorbed into the body.

Try and stick to the brand. I have done that much research on different brands and spoke to different docs that it shows they all can effect you .