PDA

View Full Version : New member returning after a few years

Jamie1990
02-09-12, 10:03
Hello all :) It's been a good few years since i was using these forums but unfortunately my anxiety has resurfaced and i feel like i need some help again.

I'll try and explain my story as short as possible.

I'm 22. male. I come from Glasgow, Scotland. Growing up i was your typical shy boy but nothing unusual from the rest of the shy kids. At school i was pretty enthusiastic and could talk comfortably with my teachers and class mates. At high school level, my shyness/anxiety was basically non existent. I was really socially outgoing and confident and could talk for Scotland.....

But at the end of my high school years i started taking drugs. Ecstacy and mostly smoking cannabis. The ecastacy taking didn't last very long but i began smoking more and more cannabis and just giving up on my school work. My social circle began to get smaller as my friends left school and went out into jobs and higher education. My cannabis smoking increased. Then by about the age of 17,18, i didn't have one friend. I bascially became a hermit and never went out and just stayed at home weeks on end. After a year or so of living like this, i began to feel more and more anxious. I won't lie in the fact that the cannabis is completely behind it all. By about 19 i just woke up one day and stopped the cannabis use. I have never went near it since. So, the cannabis use stopped completely, but my anxieties only kept growing. I worried about EVERYTHING! My lack of social life, my appearance, the way i walked, meeting old friends and even family members, answering the phone, getting on a bus... everything that involved me being seen, spoken to etc... i just dreaded it.

I did manage to find a job though, working in retail as a night shift worker. Eventhough i managed to go, the anxiety and dread never stopped. I was working and suffering at the same time.

I did try to seek help once when i was about 20. I went to see my GP and wrote down all of my symptoms and she just photocopied it and gave me a leaflet to call a mental health team in my area to arrange to see someone. I put it off simply because i couldn't bring myself to make a phone call.

Since then, my anxiety has been manageable. I got myself into a routine of working, coming home and sleeping and limiting my social contact. That's what i felt comfortable living like but i know it's not right.

After a few years of working in a dead end job, i wanted to better myself. So i applied to go to college to do a course and was accepted. I have only been at college for one week and now already having thoughts of leaving. But i just can't ! I would be letting so many people down including myself.

As part of my course i've been told i need to give a personal presentation to my class in November and it hasn't left my mind since. I just keep feeling the dread and anxiety. But i do feel a lot more confident than i did a few years ago, so i've decided now it's time to address my problem.

So i have joined these forums again to ask for advice on what i should do. Should i go and see my GP again? I feel like i need medication to take these feelings away.

My main symptoms include - Increased heart rate, dizziness, butterflies in stomach, nausea, shaking, headache.....

Feeling all this anxiety and thinking about it has eventually led to me becoming depressed. I just feel like i am in a vicious cycle that i can't get out of and i am in my last chance at giving my education a go and i really don't want my anxiety to get the better of me.

What should i do? Is there any medication that can totally stop these symptoms?

Thanks for anyone who replies

nomorepanic
02-09-12, 10:14
Hi shyglasguy

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

BobbyDog
02-09-12, 10:17
I do think that you should re-visit your GP and discuss you anxiety symptoms with him/her. I am sure you know yourself that there is not a cure all medication, but taking antidepressants may help you through this difficult time and help you regain your confidence.
You have made a lot of progress by getting into college and trying to make something of your life, don't give up now!
Well done for all your effort.

Jamie1990
02-09-12, 10:22
Thanks BobbyDog..... I think i will book an appointment for this week. To be honest, i felt like last time she didn't really get or understand my problem and was just flogging me off to someone else but i'm just going to take any help i can get now. I just need an escape from feeling like this all of the time! I feel like i don't have a choice now with college... i need to stick at it !

BobbyDog
02-09-12, 12:18
Thanks BobbyDog..... I think i will book an appointment for this week. To be honest, i felt like last time she didn't really get or understand my problem and was just flogging me off to someone else but i'm just going to take any help i can get now. I just need an escape from feeling like this all of the time! I feel like i don't have a choice now with college... i need to stick at it !

Don't let your GP get the better you, you have anxiety and need help. I had a problem with the GP I was seeing and asked for a second opinion, it worked. You could also ask to be referred for CBT, I went for it a few years ago and they teach you some very good coping strategies, my anxiety became so much more manageable.

Supermum
02-09-12, 12:54
I agree with BobbyDog in that CBT could be really useful for you. I had a course of it and it did help me loads. Even being able to physically attend improved my confidence loads. You are still so young and obviously you want things to change. The course sounds like a great step in the right direction and you should keep going. The more you go, the easier it will become

Sparkle1984
02-09-12, 15:23
Welcome to the forums! :) I've replied to your thread about your college presentation. It would be such as shame to give up college because you're worried about the presentation, especially if it could help you get a better job in the future. I'm trying to get referred for CBT too; I think it could be useful. Good luck with your college course.

Corona89
02-09-12, 18:36
You more or less summed me up in your post. I always knew I was a bit shy then used cannabis for a few years after school. I've stopped taking it now but still feel growing anxiety and worry about all the same things you do (the way i walk, social life, appearance etc). During these years I've probably only had a few months of feeling genuinly happy and at those times I was not taking any medication but just using positive thinking. Unfortunatly I always slip back into old habbits but it's possible to feel better without meds!