PDA

View Full Version : Family argument caused by my anxiety

skins12
02-09-12, 16:37
Sorry in advance for the long essay!!!

Sooooo ... I suffer from severe anxiety and any little thing can set it off even if its not related to me. I have been on the sick for a while. I am on my 6th week off and got another 2 more weeks to go before my review with the docs. I have been on meds and had counselling since i was 16.

Anyways, My anxiety has recently got worse and before i went on sick i got told at work to step down or leave and then i was told i was on the verge of getting sacked. Now that i am on the sick work have panicked and now they are like we are all here for you. I feel like they are being hypocrites but they are not really as they don't understand.

My friends and family want me to leave and not go back and whilst i have been off they have been helping me find a new job as the place i am in is not good for my health as they all say. I have been there nearly 7 years. I feel like its a safety net for me so am scared about going somewhere else.

My sister rang me yesterday afternoon and told me about a job going at her old work. She was talking to her old manager and she put my name forward. She still works for the same company but has moved to another store as she is an assistant manager there now. She said it would be ideal for me to go to as its less stressful than the job i am in now and there is less pressure and she is always on the end of the phone so said i should go for it. All my friends and family agree.

Anyways, last night i was talking with my family about the job and brought up my anxiety and said what am i going to do about it my anxiety affects it. My dad was like don't mention it and lie and i was like i can't. I'm just upset coz then my dad started getting angry at me and i said you don't understand. My mum went to agree with me and then he shouted at her so my sisters and i walked off as he started to blame my mum on the way my mum treated me growing up. She got upset as we didn't back her up.

Today my parents haven't said a word to each other and my mum is constantly crying. Including me. I feel like its all my fault due to my anxiety as it ruins my life and everything i do. I just don't know anymore and with what happened last night!!!!!!!!!!! Luckily i have my counselor tomorrow so that will help.

karenp
02-09-12, 17:19
Oh you poor thing, families hey! My dad finds it hard to understand my anxiety too as he's never suffered himself and doesn't have a clue therefore just how terrible it is.
Really hope your councillor helps you feel better tomorrow. :)

spuder
02-09-12, 17:26
just wanted to give u big hugs hun u cant choose your family hey:bighug1::bighug1:

Sparkle1984
02-09-12, 17:36
I think it sounds like a good idea to apply for this new job if you think it will be less stressful than your old one. I think you're correct to tell the truth (if you're asked about your sickness record), because if you lied they might sack you when they find out.

Anxious_gal
02-09-12, 17:53
Well your dad can't be blaming your mum as that's not helping anyone except to make him feel better.
But fighting back with him is pointless too, your mum should have got up and walked off too.
If your dad can't keep his temper in check just only talk with your mum about such matters .
You can't change or control people so your are best of ignoring his bad behaviour and refusing to get into a fight.

Supermum
02-09-12, 18:19
It is hard for people who don't suffer from anxiety to understand how hard it is and obviously I don't know your dad, but the anger could be simply from frustration either because he can't see things from your side or because he is frustrated that he can't do anything to help you and make your life easier.

It sounds like a fresh start in a job with less stress is a great idea and your sister sounds like she is willing to support you should you get the job.

I am sorry that your parents argued about this, but it is not your fault, no one asks to suffer from anxiety and unfortunately at times, it can affect the people around us

skins12
03-09-12, 20:08
Thanks everyone.

I just wish the world new more about anxiety as i hate that people don't understand.

Even though i know there is loads of people out there that suffer from anxiety i still feel like i am the only one, which feels lonely!!! I know i can chat to people on here but even coming on here gives me anxiety.

Also, I know that i should go for the job but even the thought of going and getting the application sets my anxiety off and i end up in tears.

I am getting help, but i feel like it's not enough. I feel like i need my guardian angel to be real and to with me all the time. My mum says the only person that can help me is myself. I just feel like giving up as i feel like my anxiety has beaten me and i am fighting a losing battle!!!!