PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety not depression

aseamark
02-09-12, 17:54
I am in such a washing machine moment...

I have been suffering from anxiety attacks for the at few months with no apparent reason (maybe menopausal).

I tried Prozac with horrendous results, stopped taking after 7 days, but realise that this is normal...
Had a few good weeks with no anxiety and then crashed agin last week.
Dr now given me venlafaxine but too scared to take because of last experience but understand this drug is better for anxiety?

I don't feel depressed but obviously get very low and upset over is anxiety thing.

Should I be looking at having a beta blocker type drug for anxiety rathe than an AD.?

Don't know what to do for the best..

Please help.

BobbyDog
02-09-12, 18:42
I don't take Beta Blockers, when I tried them in the past there was no reduction in my anxiety symptoms at all........ But, they do seem to work for some people.
I feel like a Guinea Pig actually, as I have used and failed at taking most of the Antidepressants in the GP Bible.
I would say, don't look at the threads on Venlafaxine, you will see mixed results and each person reacts differently to medication.
Ask yourself, will the initial side effects of taking this medication be any worse than the anxiety symptoms you are having right now?
I have a friend who takes Venlafaxine and it has been a god send to her, she would not be able to function in society without it.
Give it a go!
Best of luck.

tasha2
02-09-12, 19:35
Hi guys I have been on beta blockers and I don't think they make a diffrence. Iam also on citalapram at the min and they are making my anxiety even worse at the min, I hope and pray I feel better soon. Hope you guys do to. X

kittikat
02-09-12, 20:27
I have just started Venlafaxine, 37.5mg once a day (a very low dose which I specifically requested) and I have to say so far the SE's have been tolerable, I am only on day 6 but I had already given up on Cit, Prozac and Clomipramine by now due to the utterly unbearable SE's I experienced on them.

I feel very optimistic about these tablets, but as Bobbydog says, we all react differently to meds and it did take me a week to pluck up the courage to give Ven a try!! I am also on diazepam (and BB's which actually do nothing for the 'mental' anxiety for me) I hope you make the right decision for you....nothing ventured, nothing gained??

Best of luck, Kitti :)

spawn
02-09-12, 20:39
hi, i also went on Prozac with horrendous results and also Cit.
My new doctor recommended i went on Venlafaxine as its a different family of drugs, and may be suited better for me. It is also better for anxiety she said.
Ive been taking Ven for 11 days now with just normal side effects, i was very reluctant to try another drug after my previous experience. But im giving it a chance!
hope this helps.

nicola1980
02-09-12, 20:44
Im also on ven after horrific side effects on cit and imipramine, i started on a low dose too with bearable side effects and gradually worked myself up to 150mg which works well for my anxiety, id def recommend trying them x x

---------- Post added at 20:44 ---------- Previous post was at 20:41 ----------

Maybe admin could move this to the ven forum? As you may get more responce X x