PDA

View Full Version : Flooding

Munchkin
28-07-06, 13:50
Hey there,

As part of my CBT therapy, my psychologist has suggested I try flooding. In other words, going into my most feared place, the supermarket, buying one item, coming out, then going back in and buying another item etc etc, until the anxiety subsides.

I have never, ever, seen my anxiety through, always leaving before it subsibes. Therefore reinforcing the belief that I can't cope and the anxiety will always win. Through my CBT I have come a long way and now have coping stratagies. My psychologist has also offered to be there with me, in case i need extra support.

has anyone tried flooding? I know it can be somwhat controversial and therefore would greatly value any views.
Thanks!

"A Journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"

Dave777
28-07-06, 14:59
Hi, maybe it's worth a try, then go back home and assess whether you have acheived anything ....... I hate Supermarkets, too many people far too close;)

Dave

tammyg
28-07-06, 16:57
There are very different opinions on this.

It completely depends on the individual I think. I have read lots of information and for some people it is exactly what they need and helps them enormously. However, for others it is more than they can handle and sets them back.

I think it does make sense, the theory behind it. But I know also, for me, it could make things worse. Gradual exposure therapy is often favoured. Have you considered this?

Tammy x

nomorepanic
28-07-06, 20:03
Interesting this as my CBT lady is very much against this.

She said that if I pushed myself too hard too fast - like you do with this technique - then I could do more damage than good and it could be unbearable to cope with and I wouldn't want to ever do it again.

I guess they all have their own techniques but I definitely remember her saying she would never use this technique with anyone.

Perhaps it will work for you though - I am not saying it is a bad thing just that she said she didn't use it.

Are you going to try it?

Nicola

carlin
28-07-06, 21:59
Hi there, in my opinion, I sometimes just have to face my fears so we all get food/shopping/clothes etc. I certainly feel it does not help one bit, when i am forced to do it, i cannot cope, on the other hand if i do it at my 'leisure' thus no pressure, i can manage it. sorry if this doesn't make sense?Most times I have to see my anxiety through, and how happy am i to be home. Job done!!! This is my personal plan not an experts sorry.. xx

polly daydream
28-07-06, 22:35
I say anything is worth a shot, all you can do is try it and see.

Best wishes,

Polly x

Munchkin
29-07-06, 13:03
thank you very much for the replies everyone. i value your opinions on this. :)

tammy, I have been trying gradual exposure, in fact for many years before I seeked helped, and I have come a long way with it but dont know if it will be enough to 'cure' me. I kept on going out for years despite the anxiety I suffered. I think this helped me not to slip any further, but I don't feel it's ever cracked the case.

I'm still undecided about trying the flooding...mainly because I wonder if, once I've done it, will it mean that next time I go into a supermarket all the anxiety is just gone? I don't want to put myself through something like that for it to fail...
but then again polly and dave, you are right that if i dont try i'll never know...
[Ugh] I think I need to see a therapist about my indecisiveness, never mind my anxiety!!;)

alexis
29-07-06, 17:36
Hi This is how Im working, I have to stay in an uncomfortable situation for an agreed length of time, i have to write down anxiety rating, before during and after,it is hard, and Ive also done it other way, but I think being made to stay could be the answer, not sure and probably matter of opinion,xxx

Munchkin
09-08-06, 16:47
thanks for your input alexis. i've not done my flooding yet due to poor health, but i am going to give it a try when i'm better. xx

darkangel
09-08-06, 18:17
to be honest with you i have used every technique over the past 9 yrs and for me Flooding has worked. Gradual just gets me even more anxious but i think it is all down to the individual. Yes with flooding it can leave you veery tired and it can put you back for a few days but with time and the more you practrice flooding the time to bounce back gets quicker.

I think it depends on what type of person we are as well - im just as anxious sitting at home so I put myself into stressful situations to test myself - not always with support from my psy nurse but for me it works.

flooding technique is not for everyone but i guess i must like the adrenaline rush of achieving something i never imagined i could ever do again!

i have put myself into really extreme anxiety provoking situations and I survived and im still here.

take care and sometimes we need to take a small risk - nothing major at first and see how it goes.

darkangel

........life is for living not just for surviving

Piglet
09-08-06, 19:37
Good luck with it Muchie mate whatever you decide.

I am gonna see what happens to you first before I decide whether its a good thing and one to follow you in with :D:D:D:D

Love Piglet xx

Munchkin
11-08-06, 17:35
thanks darkangel. glad to hear the flooding has worked good for you. like you said, I guess we are all different. i do find that when I force myself to face a situation, and push through it, my anxiety does seem to subside much faster than a 'softer' approach.

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">

I am gonna see what happens to you first before I decide whether its a good thing and one to follow you in with :D:D:D:D

Love Piglet xx

<div align="right">Originally posted by Piglet - 09 August 2006 : 20:37:32</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

lol pigelt, I feel like i'm being made to walk the plank to test the waters for you!!;) lol! ah, well if it all goes wrong, I suppose one sacrifice is better than two!!;) hehe!! :D thanks for the support though. i will of course keep you updated. xx

Piglet
11-08-06, 17:43
As always mate I am just behind you shoving you in first :D:D:D

Love Piglet x

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Munchkin
11-08-06, 17:46
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">As always mate I am just behind you shoving you in first :D:D:D

Love Piglet x

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

<div align="right">Originally posted by Piglet - 11 August 2006 : 18:43:33</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

lol!!:D what would I do without you piglet?! now I really do feel like a lamb to the slaughter!!! ;):D

graham58
12-08-08, 16:46
Hey there,

As part of my CBT therapy, my psychologist has suggested I try flooding. In other words, going into my most feared place, the supermarket, buying one item, coming out, then going back in and buying another item etc etc, until the anxiety subsides.

I have never, ever, seen my anxiety through, always leaving before it subsibes. Therefore reinforcing the belief that I can't cope and the anxiety will always win. Through my CBT I have come a long way and now have coping stratagies. My psychologist has also offered to be there with me, in case i need extra support.

has anyone tried flooding? I know it can be somwhat controversial and therefore would greatly value any views.
Thanks!

Can you find a sympathetic friend to go with you? I speak from experience here that it makes a difference to have someone there to talk to as not only are they there for support but the conversation you have with them helps distract you from the fearful thoughts you have in that situation.