PDA

View Full Version : So jumpy at the slightest thing

Graz
03-09-12, 15:49
Hi,

I have had this problem with being made jump and wonder if anyone else can share this pain.

Just anything makes me jump. Someone unexpectedly touching me, a fly hitting my face when I'm walking, a car beeping, camera flash, someone coughing behind me...the list goes on.

The worst thing is, I panic if I know something is about to make me jump at a time I don't know. At work in the office today, one of my worst nightmares happened- there was a problem with the fire alarm system, and the engineers kept testing it. After a very short time of trying to bear it, I had to ask the fire alarm testers to warn me each time they were about to set it off and explain to them my problem, and then leave the building each and every time they came in. I normally go outside when it's the test day (thankfully lunchtime), but it's that extreme fear of a sudden loud noise that is just unbearable. It also makes my anxiety worse as I'm wondering what people think of me being so frightened (Although I'm lucky my boss seems quite sympathetic).

I've had this problem since school and wasn't able to shake it off. Does anyone have any tips on what I could do or can share any experiences with this? Thanks!!

ChrisScotland
03-09-12, 16:01
I know how you feel.It's you anticipating something will happen, or know it's going to happen, so you're constantly thinking about it in your mind, and when it happens it makes you jump out of your skin.It's kinda like watching a horror movie and the suspenseful music kicks in and you know something is going to jump out.

I don't think it's you being scared.It's just yourself tenseing your muscles in anticipation of something going to happen.

It's a pain and hard to shake off in your mind.

busybee09
03-09-12, 21:12
I'm known by my friends for my jumpiness. I find it quite funny myself, if someone shuts a bin lid i think there's been a gun shot, i do tend to laugh about it otherwise it'd send me loopy.
I think for me having friends/family/boyfriend that laughs at my jumpiness makes me feel better.

i hope you feel better about yours xx