PDA

View Full Version : University worries!

littleOwl
03-09-12, 17:43
Hi All, i'm having one of them days where my worries are controlling me and taking over and I really just need to write it out loud or do something before I go completely mad. I start University in a month and I am so scared. It is my 3rd year and its major! I have to do this project completely from scratch and I have no idea where to start. I'm panicking because I really want my project to do well because it takes up most of my degree but I don't have the confidence anymore and I just think i'm going to fail. I don't even want to go back, I want to quit but I know I can't because I will have nothing, be a complete nobody, which is not what I want and completely in debt!
I just wish I was good at something and not completely useless, I have no talent and not interested in anything. Has anyone ever experienced this? Is part of an anxiety that I feel like this? or is it just me!

PunkyFish
03-09-12, 18:05
Hi All, i'm having one of them days where my worries are controlling me and taking over and I really just need to write it out loud or do something before I go completely mad. I start University in a month and I am so scared. It is my 3rd year and its major! I have to do this project completely from scratch and I have no idea where to start. I'm panicking because I really want my project to do well because it takes up most of my degree but I don't have the confidence anymore and I just think i'm going to fail. I don't even want to go back, I want to quit but I know I can't because I will have nothing, be a complete nobody, which is not what I want and completely in debt!
I just wish I was good at something and not completely useless, I have no talent and not interested in anything. Has anyone ever experienced this? Is part of an anxiety that I feel like this? or is it just me!

Hi :)

I've just graduated from university and was in a similar sort of position a year ago. First of all its normal to be anxious about going back to university especially for the third and final year. Second of all your not completely useless as you must have put in some effort to of passed your first and second years! and thirdly don't quit because you have come this far. :)

As long as you work hard you will not fail. If you need help or are struggling make sure you ask for some advice from your tutors. Also take the project slow and set up realistic targets on what work needs to get done by certain dates. If you really don't fancy going back this year could you not take a gap year and maybe have a bit of a break from uni?

:D

littleOwl
03-09-12, 18:11
Thanks for the advice, I know if I took a break I would never go back. I'm studying computer science because I thought I could do it and like you said I got this far which is true. I can read books and remember things for exams but now I have to physically put it into practice and I have no idea where to start and what's worse I think my anxiety gets in the way of learning because I'm so focused on not achieving and not retaining any important information.

PunkyFish
03-09-12, 18:28
Thanks for the advice, I know if I took a break I would never go back. I'm studying computer science because I thought I could do it and like you said I got this far which is true. I can read books and remember things for exams but now I have to physically put it into practice and I have no idea where to start and what's worse I think my anxiety gets in the way of learning because I'm so focused on not achieving and not retaining any important information.

A break is probably not the best thing to do then. I would try and speak to your tutors as they are in the best position to advise you. Does your uni have a counseling service which maybe able to help you and are you on any medication for your anxiety?

littleOwl
03-09-12, 20:49
A break is probably not the best thing to do then. I would try and speak to your tutors as they are in the best position to advise you. Does your uni have a counseling service which maybe able to help you and are you on any medication for your anxiety?

I don't think I can speak to anyone I mean I can write what I feel in a message or email but actually speaking to someone face-to-face I can't do it, I get all embarrassed and flustered. Nobody knows about my situation. Im very secretive I suppose when it comes to myself because I hate being hurt by what people say to me. I have booked a doctors appointment on thursday because im stressing so badly my hair is starting to fall out and im not sure whether it is because of this or something else. But thank you for the advice it is much appreciated.