PDA

View Full Version : is citalopram safe

Dizzydoll
03-09-12, 19:14
I suffer from health anxiety n now im worriedabout havin a heart attack since cit has been linked to heart problems...is this pill still safe to take or shud i b looking into other options? im so scared of having to come off cit n start a new drug i have medication phobia but at the same time dont wanna drop down dead! x

Carina
03-09-12, 19:49
Oh, pet. Starting cit is really, really hard when you're dealing with health anxiety. As for my own personal experience, a lot of heart problems run on both sides of my family. I'm on my second try at cit and honestly, I've had no problems. I won't make you promises but honestly, I'd be a prime candidate for heart problems and these tablets have given me no physical health issues. Good luck, and I hope it all goes well.

Dizzydoll
03-09-12, 20:38
thanx im just so worried about the recent heart probs its been associated with in the news :(

Sparkle1984
03-09-12, 21:09
I know that must be worrying especially if you have health anxiety. I found this article online which explains more about the heart risks: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/9367001/Safety-warning-over-Britains-most-common-antidepressant.html

It seems that the warning was mainly aimed at people who took 60mg. 40mg is now the recommended maximum dose so it should be safe. But only you can decide if you think the risk is worth it. However, if you're worried you could always ask to be switched to a different medication, as the warning only affects citalopram and escitalopram.