PDA

View Full Version : Self harming

PinkRoxy
04-09-12, 08:22
I dont know why this is but when I get depressed or suffering from pms I find harming myself to make me feel better. I usually do things like starve myself, make myself vomit, hold my wee in as long as I can and cut myself. There are others but it seems to me since Ive suffered depression this year and my pre menstrual symptoms are getting worse I have wanted to do those things.

I feel like I am worthless and have acceptance issues. Its like I dont care anymore and I want to make myself sicker just to feel better. This is usually not me as I am always for being a health freak and keeping myself healthy.

Has anyone ever felt like this? Im sure its the contraceptive pill Im on aswell that makes these feelings worse.

What do you do to make yourself feel better when you are feeling down?

yvonne_uk_98
04-09-12, 10:28
HI Pinkroxy,

so sorry your going through rough time, hope you feel better soon.:hugs:

when I'm feeling very low, I use my new found coping ways, which took a long time to put in place. the more I used them and replace it for self harming etc.... I do things that I'm interested in. I've managed to overcome the overwhelming stage at times, I fight it and either play a computer game, or knit, or bake.. something that I find interesting. to take my mind of being so low and fight the overwhelming feelings and dont let them win. it takes time to put into practice.

its an ongoing battle every time I go through overwhelming stage. some are stronger than others. I get there.

little scientist
04-09-12, 13:12
Im sure its the contraceptive pill Im on aswell that makes these feelings worse.

Hi PinkRoxy, I went on the pill at 19 I think it was. The first one (Microgynon) was horrific - I managed less than a week on it, the mental effects on me were that bad. I became a gibbering wreck, constantly crying, nausea etc.

I was then moved on to mercillon, which although much better, looked to be the cause and trigger of my depression and anxiety that I suffer now. It wasn't until I stopped taking it that I realised it had caused a very long, mild depression.

I stopped taking my contraceptive pill after I separated from my former partner. It took a while, but after 6 months, something suddenly began to click, and I felt brilliant. I then met a new man, and had to start considering other contraceptive options, having told my GP and nurse that I was dead set against going back on hormonal birth control. I decided to have a copper coil fitted and this has been fantastic for me! I do still get anxiety and depression though, although it tends to not be as severe as in the past, I think my body has just got used to thinking and panicking, like it did when I was on the pill.

So, to summarise, if you are sure it is the pill, maybe ask your GP about other forms of contraception? The copper coil is much safer these days than the older coils (newer ones contain more copper) with failure rates much more inline with the pill.

Good luck x

PinkRoxy
05-09-12, 08:33
Thanks you two

Yeah I always seem to feel better if I make myself bleed and it hurts its really annoying and a new bad habit to get into. I cut my thumb and my toe so far as well as starving myself and holding my wee for as long as I can usually until Im really sore which is so bad. I havent thought about trying something like what I enjoy doing. My emotions are so screwed its like I feel like crying for no reason and feel so worthless like I hate myself and I deserve to be harmed its horrible.

I do think its the pill I felt it badly since being on the pill and was thinking of changing it. my breasts are constantly sore and sensitive too have been since May. I am thinking of what to do about it and what other contraception to go on.

Thanks for your support and reply I much appreciate it :)