PDA

View Full Version : virus

MaryMac
04-09-12, 08:22
Hi everyone, I've been mostly absent from here because my HA has been kept in check even though I've had my little moments! However, right now I'm slightly worried. About a month ago I had a head cold, nothing major just lots of sneezing and a little cough. I actually think it might have been an allergy. Since then though, it's never fully gone away. I had quite a busy stressful weekend and didn't really eat anything for about 2/3 days (bad I know!!). Last night I started feeling sort of "yucky" and my throat started getting really sore, my head and my arms and legs and no appetite. I've been up pretty much all night and just feel rotten but can't really put my finger on it. Since my HA was really bad, for me I'm scared that there is something underlying causing it ie lymphoma! I found a lump in the back of my neck which I think has been there for years but I'm getting worried again.... I hate this! Why can a cold just not be a cold?! I'm just wondering if it's my immune system because I didn't eat alot

Andromeda
04-09-12, 12:24
Hi Mary,

I have massive HA over catching a virus/flu/general illness as i developed viral pneumonia after a nasty bout of flu last year and it wouldn't go away for months.

I imagine that yucky feeling is to do with not eating anything rather than anything being wrong with your immune system. Our body needs fuel to fight infection and keep away all the bad stuff so it's really important that you not only eat well but eat regularly too.

Have you seen your GP about the lump? Sometimes it is just better to get reassurance from a professional rather than worrying yourself silly over it.

Get some vitamin C in you and eat a hearty meal. Make sure you drink lots of fluids and are well rested and you should start to feel better soon enough

X

MaryMac
04-09-12, 12:40
Thanks for the response, just went to the shops and bought manuka honey, green tea and chicken soup! Hopefully it'll help. I'm also worried about meningitis. Argh I hate being like this!!

Andromeda
04-09-12, 12:43
I worry about that too but i know someone who actually caught it and i have been assured that if you had it, you would know about it.
The symptoms develop VERY quickly - we're talking hours and you would be so sick you wouldn't even be able to question whether or not you actually had it. Have you had all your up to date injections?

MaryMac
04-09-12, 14:12
I haven't had any sort of injection for years! (other than tetanus). I'm a pretty healthy person generally, so I don't know if that' why when I get unwell I start to make it worse that it is because I'm not used to it? I maybe catch one or 2 colds a year, my last cold was November last year so I've been fine right up until the last month or so...
Thanks for your replies. :)