PDA

View Full Version : suicidal

Iggy131313
04-09-12, 11:11
ok, so 8 weeks on cit and i am bed ridden and having serious suicidal thoughts, could this be the medication?

I know the drs want me to keep increasing the dose but could the cit still be reponsible for the terrible constant anxiety which has now led to depair and depression and planning ways to end it all?

I have never suffered with depression and only had mild anxiety issues before starting on the cit

---------- Post added at 11:11 ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 ----------

I wake up with SEVERE anxiety and cant face my family, I spend all day yesterday planning out exactly how I could kill myself, down to the last detail.

The phyc says that the side effects of anxiety etc from cit should have passed at 6 weeks but why am I feeling like this then?

spuder
04-09-12, 11:13
mirtazapine made me like that i suggest u try a differnt anti depressent like cipralex i am on these and they have made me so happier

rockydog
04-09-12, 11:20
Hi there sorry to hear that. You say you are bed ridden is that because you cant face people or you unwell in some other way ? x

Iggy131313
04-09-12, 11:21
I cant face anything or anyonme, it brings on a terrible panic attack and makes me run for the bedroom, I cant think of anything but how Im feeling.

rockydog
04-09-12, 11:29
Hi there yes i can understand that that is exactly how i was when this first hit. It may not be your medication that is causing this because i wasnt on medication and i went through that stage.
I would lie on my bed and every so often go down stairs but the noise of television or people talking sent me straight upstairs. If the door went or someone came in i would get a horrible sensation that would rise in me and i would feel panicked( even though i normally prefer to be with people)
It was a very scary time and i was unable to talk to anyone or listen to what they were saying because i was totally fixed on my sensations.
does that sound familiar ? x

Serenitie
04-09-12, 11:30
I really think that you have given citalopram a long enough trial. It doesn't seem to be working for you or having any effect other than distressing side effects. Listen to what your body is telling you. No two people react the exactly the same to any medication. Please see your GP, tell them how you feel and swap to a different medication under their supervision.

Your body & mind is exhausted by anxiety. You need a break from it and to regain faith that you will get better by trying a different medication that works for you. You have a beautiful child and a happy future to look forward to. You need to put an end to these side effects. Please call your GP this morning. Message me to let me know how you get on.

You are in my thoughts :bighug1:

Iggy131313
04-09-12, 11:38
yes rockydog it sounds familiar but I was so happy before starting these meds, SO HAPPY!!

I always had a spring in my step, when I started on the cit the side effects hit me harder than I can say but I tried to remain positive as much as I could but now I have sunk into the worst depression simply because I cant function as I did and I miss my life so much. I wish I was dead so I didnt have to wake up everyday into this nightmare.

I took 30mg last night with a view to going upto 40 as they want me to, but I cant help but thinking that coming off them all together would be the best move, still I need to do as Im told eh?

Elen
04-09-12, 11:40
Hi

It is quite common for anxiety to heighten during the intro period of anti depressents.

However I would not hesitate in getting in touch with your GP and telling them how you feel.

There may want to tweak your prescription, prescribe something different or perhaps prescribe something additional to help you get over this period of adjustment.

tc

Elen

rockydog
04-09-12, 11:49
Well i have never taken the drug so wouldnt know about the side affects, you do need to go back to your gp and say exactly how bad it is and get another oppinion on what to do about medication. Not all drugs suit everyone there may be a better alternative for you.

You have obviously been perscribed a drug for a reason, if all was well and you were happy you wouldnt have been seeking help and offered a medication. Was it anxiety you presented with ?
I went to a gp with anxiety and didnt take the medication offered as i always get the worse side affects but my anxiety progressed to depression and despair anyway. Had i been on a medication i like you would think it was that. What i am saying is some of this may just be the way your illness is developing but check with your gp.
I also had never had depression or felt like i did, i have four teenagers or older that i had always managed, i am a foster carer and work in a schoold behaviour unit. So to be hit with anxiety and depression was alien to me and terrifying. I also felt i had lost my previous life and didnt want to continue like that. This was all without medication, so go back and talk about it.
Have you had anyone to talk to professionally ? this may help for you to understand the illness x

mrbenn
04-09-12, 12:25
Hi there,

I have recently finished an NHS "Emotional Wellbeing" course, and we did the usual Depression and Anxiety questionnaires at the start of each session. One of the questions talked about suicidal feelings and they discussed this with us in week one. They made it clear that these feelings are perfectly normal for sufferers of depression and anxiety, but once those feelings turn into planning actions of how youi might take your own life, then we should seek help. It sounds to me like you are having a tough time, so best get an emergency appointment with the doctor and go and explain exactly how you are feeling. Im sure they will be able to do something for you and help you get through this difficult time.

Remember these feelings do pass and you wont feel like this forever.

TJSMITH
04-09-12, 13:25
I think you need more help Hun, I had the thoughts but no plans it does sound like wrong med not that im a dr. It is scary but you sound beyond that.

Does diazapan help you? I been given lorazapam as stronger took one last night and calmed me down as really bad yesterday x

nicola1980
04-09-12, 14:10
Hun, get back on the phone to a doc and demand to be seen TODAY, you can't carry on like this you need help and i don't think cit is helping the way your feeling at all :hugs: xx

Anxious_gal
04-09-12, 14:24
Yes they can. Antidepressants can make you worse instead of better.
I had one give me suicidal images, I kept seeing myself doing awful things in my mind.
I was too scared to leave my room!
But once the drugs were out of my system I was fine .

You need to tell your doctor RIGHT NOW!
And maybe even go to hospital.
Try not to be alone until the medication wears off x

Iggy131313
04-09-12, 14:32
ive been on cit for 8 weeks now and been getting worse and worse, and the week before my period i get even worse

I dont know what to do, what I would really like to do is to come off the meds altogether and then reassess

nicola1980
04-09-12, 14:34
then come off them chick, but wean yourself off, i think you've gave them long enough xx

Iggy131313
04-09-12, 14:37
but the phyc says go UP!!

TJSMITH
04-09-12, 14:41
I was on them four months and yes still had low days at two month stage but nowhere near as bad as pre-meds. Go to hospital or gp now x

nicola1980
04-09-12, 14:44
physchatrists can still get it wrong!! mine put me on mirtazapine and that made me suicidal and i was changed immediatly xx

---------- Post added at 14:44 ---------- Previous post was at 14:43 ----------

phone you gp again, you need to be seen today xx

joy
04-09-12, 19:46
You could phone NHS direct 08454647 they are very helpful or the out of hours doctors. if you felt up to it you could go to A ad E//
Dont suffer another eveining without speaking to some one
Joy

CliveL
04-09-12, 19:59
I am prescribed buspirone as well, not a cure but it helps

southey
04-09-12, 20:38
Sorry to hear things have not been good still. I would have expected some relief from anxiety at 8 weeks, not to be getting worse.

I think what you are going through must feel like hell and I'm thankful I was in the same way for only a few weeks before I felt OK again.

I would be inclined to stop the Citalopram if your now feeling suicidal 8 weeks on. I don't think this is a normal reaction so working with your Doc maybe tapering off will give you a break and back to your old happy self?

I can't remember why you started on the Cit in the first place but from your posts you seemed much better off it than on and to be honest you have given it a decent try and it doesn't seem to suit you?

Atb,

Steve.

Iggy131313
04-09-12, 21:15
The phyc says that because I was on 40mg for 2 years that 20mg is not a thereputic dose for me so I will need to get back upto that. Maybe thats right, Ill have to give it a try