PDA

View Full Version : What happens when you first ask for help?

Jamie1990
04-09-12, 18:02
I'm sorry if i have posted this in the wrong forum.

I was just wondering if anyone could take me through what happens when they first seek help for their anxiety/depression?

I live in Scotland but i'm guessing it would pretty much be the same all over the UK??? What will happen when i go to see my GP? Is anxiety and depression something they are used to treating? For me it's the anxiety that's the fundamental problem, with depression being a result of the anxiety.

I have actually been to see my GP about 2 years ago when i was the worst i've ever been and felt she didn't really know or understand what was wrong with me. Instead she just gave me a leaflet with a phone number to call which was the local Mental Health Team. Anyone suffering from social anxiety will know the difficulty in making phone calls so i just gave up on the asking for help and have since just kept suffering.

But i'm now in the position where i have no choice and i NEED to seek help as i've just begun college and the anxiety is already starting to affect my work. I've only been at college for a week and just keep thinking about leaving due to being so anxious all of the time.

Anyways, back to the question.... Supposing my GP refers me to the Mental Health Team again, what will happen when i visit them? I know medication is not always recommended but i do feel i would benefit from something to take away the physical symptoms i have such as increased heart rate and that feeling like if someone just kicked you in the stomach. I have headaches, "the shakes", i blush real bad ! And of course, i have the usual symptoms of depression... hopelessness, feeling of just giving up, worry, stress.... I feel like i need something to calm me completely.

Would my GP provide medication for me or should i first visit this Mental Health Team and they will suggest help for me?

So what will happen when i go to the MH Team? Who will i speak to? Will i return regularly? What generally happens???

Big thanks to anyone who replies :)

Annie0904
04-09-12, 18:45
Your GP should have a knowledge and understanding of anxiety and should provide meds if he thinks they will help you. He/she may also refer you for counselling which is a big help.

lg123
05-09-12, 16:08
Services vary throughout the UK and some areas have better facilities than others. I can only speak from my experience living in a city in the East Midlands. I went to the doctor and she referred me to the 'Open Mind' service, which is CBT counselling once every few weeks at my local surgery and the counsellor is also referring me to a self esteem support group. I have also been for private counselling but have found the NHS service to be much more suited to my needs. That's just due to the type of therapy provided though, as there are a lot of private counsellors out there who are leaders in their fields. The doctor also prescribed me 20mg citalopram (anti depressant which also works on anxiety) and then beta blockers for the physical symptoms of anxiety.

My friend has access to a community psychiatric nurse (CPN) and local mental health team, as well as a consultant psychiatrist, as she has had severe clinical depression for years. She finds the CPN extremely useful. Your GP can also refer you to your local crisis team who you can call if you're feeling suicidal.

Could you get a friend/family member to call your local mental health team? I'm afraid I don't know exactly what will happen when you contact them but they are generally specifically trained for depression/anxiety and could be a great source of support, as well as be able to help you get access to the treatment you need.

I'm no expert on all this, but I don't think medication alone will help you through this. A combination of medication, the right counselling that helps you challenge negative thinking patterns, eating healthily, getting regular exercise and a positive mental attitude and strong desire to overcome anxiety is the approach I would recommend.