PDA

View Full Version : How to stop over analyzing and monitoring heart beat?

Gotagetthroughthis
05-09-12, 00:24
Hello everyone hope you all well.

Has anyone had an obsession with thinking they had a problem with their heart or was always conscious of there heart beat and always monitoring and feeling it.

If so how did you eventually get over this? how did you stop yourself obsessing about it all the time? I just want to go back to the days when i didnt even think about it.

I find I cant exercise as i hate the feel of a heavy fast heart beat and i think im going to have a heart attack. Even just standing up to go to the toilet and my heart beats a little harder for a few beats makes me feel like my hearts going to stop. Makes me just lay in bed all the time as this is where the heart is most calm and you cant really feel it. I find myself conscious of my heart beat all the time and cant put it out of my mind.

The things like taking my pulse and blood pressure every 2 minutes i can and have stoped doing but the thoughts and feelings of the heart beating are always there.

I no this is much like other anxiety issues that you need to distract yourself and put it out of your mind. but just wondered if anyone has experienced this with the heart and managed to get back to not worrying about it. If so how?

TheGroundhog
05-09-12, 10:44
Having had A LOT of CBT and other therapy and with heart stuff and pulse monitoring being one of my worst problems of all time, I can absolutley promise you relief from it IF you follow the instructions below to the letter.

1) Do not take your pulse EVER, your heart is quite happily doing its thing.

2) For two days every hour, on the hour, spend 5 minutes making your heart rate go through the roof, skip, jog on the spot, run up and down the stairs, do star jumps, whatever, just make it pound like crazy. Then carry on with your day. (only through your waking day obviously, don't get up at night ;)

3) Every time your mind gives you a thought like 'there is something wrong with my heart' 'my heart is beating too fast' 'I really should check what my pulse is' say (in your head or out loud) 'Thanks mind, but I am not listening to you right now' or just 'Thanks mind'. You could also respond with 'I am having the thought that......(add in any of the thoughts above)' or you could sing the thought to a happy tune, 'happy birthday' or 'jingle bells' are good. These techniques are called diffusion and are incredibly effective.

Two days TO THE LETTER and you will feel totally different.

But it takes massive balls and commitment to do it and not slip up. Though if you do slip up, just start again.

I will work, but only you can do it.

Gotagetthroughthis
05-09-12, 15:16
Thank you thegroundhog, great reply

This sounds very interesting and i will definitely give this a try

spacebunnyx
05-09-12, 18:27
I had heart worries a while ago and I found actually exercising gave me confidence... I could run/do a class and not die then I must be OK!

xxx