PDA

View Full Version : Is this a success story? - Giving ourselves credit

Elle-Kay
05-09-12, 20:15
Today was my husband's degree graduation ceremony. He's worked so hard to get to this point over the last 4 years, and I'm so, SO proud of him (he left school with very few qualifications, mostly in the D-E range, and now he has an upper second class honours degree!).

I've been very anxious about this day for a while, as it has fallen right at the worst time for me in terms of this high anxiety I'm experiencing right now. Also I've been suffering with a migraine since Monday, which knocks me for six, so I knew today would be a struggle.

I'm pleased to say that I did watch my clever husband graduate with his classmates, even though I was afraid right up until the very moment of the ceremony that I wouldn't end up seeing him get his certificate. However, I'm finding it hard to give myself credit, and I wonder if I can even call this a "success", because I was too nervous to sit with everyone else in the ceremony, so explained to an Usher that I was very nervous and asked if I could sit at the back with them instead of in the main congregation (the ceremony takes place in our spectacular cathedral), which they allowed (they were so kind actually, and kept checking that I was ok).

So even though I did make it through the whole ceremony, and the photograph/drinks reception afterwards, I don't know if I can call this a success. But if I can't give myself credit for anything, how can I move forward with 'beating' this anxiety beast? :wacko:

Annie0904
05-09-12, 20:19
This is a success...you were so worried about just getting there and you did it Well done!!!

eternally optimistic
05-09-12, 20:28
WELL DONE.

YOU DONT NEED TO ASK WHETHER THAT IS A SUCCESS, IT IS....

NOTHING WORSE THAN NOT KNOWING IF YOU ARE GOING TO STAY SOMEWHERE, FRETTING ABOUT IT.

You flipping well celebrate.

Well done to your husband too.

What a team you both make.

Serenitie
05-09-12, 20:42
This is absolutely a big success for you as well as your hubby! :yesyes: It takes courage to attend formal ceremonies as they provoke anxiety...grand settings, crowds, etc. in addition to the nervous excitement you were probably feeling for your husband. You shared and celebrated a hugely important day with your husband. Well done! Congratulations to you both! :yahoo:

:bighug1: xxx

KTimmy
05-09-12, 20:48
Any step is a success, and this was a BIG step. I sincerely say well done! :yesyes:

It takes courage, which you showed!