PDA

View Full Version : Dad in hospital

Elle-Kay
06-09-12, 18:58
I woke up this morning feeling pretty good after the graduation yesterday, but got a text from my mum asking me to go round there asap, and it turns out my dad was taken into hospital by ambulance early this morning :sad: after feeling ok first thing I now feel rotten again. I'm so worried about my dad. We visited this afternoon for a bit and he liked so poorly. He has Pancreatitis apparently, which is mild in 4 out of 5 cases, but in 1 of 5 can become severe & start to shut down other organs, so of course I'm thinking the worst. He had an ultrasound & CT scan just before we visited so we have to wait for the results to get a treatment plan I suppose. They may need to do an operation to remove his gallbladder, or so I read online, which sounds like he won't be coming home any time soon :sad:

Annie0904
06-09-12, 19:05
I am really sorry to hear about your dad being ill and it is understandable that you are worrying. I had my gall bladder removed and was only in hospital 2 days, they usually do it keyhole surgery. He is in the best place now to be looked after and given the treatment he needs. I hope he gets well soon sending you :hugs::hugs::hugs:

bernie1977
06-09-12, 19:08
Sorry to hear that it must be very distressing for you. My partner is having his gallbladder removed next week.

Hope your Dad gets well soon. Remember hospital is the best place for him to be right now x

Sparkle1984
06-09-12, 19:37
Sorry to hear about your dad being ill. I understand it must be very scary for you.

I hope he gets better soon. :bighug1:

Elle-Kay
06-09-12, 21:12
Thanks Annie, Bernie & Sparkle. I've just gotten into bed for an early night, since I felt at such a loose end being up. We haven't heard anything from the hospital even though the Doctors apparently do an evening round at 6-7pm, so we had hoped to hear after that about the results of the CT/ultrasound scans. It looks like it's not to be though, and we'll have to wait until tomorrow (even if we rang the ward it would be a waste of time as they can't give information over the phone for data protection reasons). This means a night of worrying for everyone, but a night of worrying + anxiety + panicking for me :sad:

I've already done something naughty, and Googled what else it COULD be (I know it's madness, but "just in case" the trained, professional people are wrong about their diagnosis... ?!?!?) and so I'm really on edge now because, of course, Dr Google gave me the worst possible diagnosis. I'm anxious at this time of night normally, as this is when the body (and mind) are at their most vulnerable I think, but I'm so close to panic right now because I feel so out of control, and I'm scared of it :(

I would feel SO much better if someone would just turn around to us and say e.g. "It IS pancreatitis caused by a blockage of gallstones. We're going to do a keyhole op to remove the gallbladder, and he'll be discharged in xx days". This not knowing is what is preying on my mind. If I feel very anxious I usually make myself a little chart to count down the time, so I can see the end coming, but without even a possible discharge date I can't even do this to comfort myself. The NHS direct website says anything between 3 and 14 days in hospital, which is not exactly helpful!? I couldn't bear if it was 14 days - I can't be in this state for two weeks, it was hard enough when my parents went away on holiday for a week recently!

And to top it all off, of course, I feel so guilty for being so upset about my (insignificant) problems and thinking about how my dad's stay in hospital affects ME, when he should be the focus of my attention (so if any of you are reading this and thinking how selfish I am - don't worry, I already know exactly how selfish and uncaring a daughter I am!!) :weep:

Annie0904
06-09-12, 21:33
You are NOT selfish and uncaring at all and don't think you are! You are very much the opposite, it is because of your caring nature that you have got yourself in such a state with worry. I was exactly the same when my dad was in hospital. Don't google any more or you will just make yourself worse. The doctors will take care of your dad and he is in the best place to get better. Night time is always the worst when you are worrying but try to relax and get some sleep and you should get more news in the morning. :hugs::hugs::hugs:

blue moon
07-09-12, 02:05
Hoping your father will be back home soon,take care of your mother and yourself.
Love Petra x:flowers: